FORUMS: list search recent posts

IO HD with varicam

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
high1memo
IO HD with varicam
on Jun 26, 2007 at 4:52:03 pm

I am about to do a shoot with a Varicam, 720p @60 fps. I was originally planning on capturing the tapes via deck-> firewire with the native DVCPRO-HD codec as it seems FCP has full native support for it. However the more I read about the AJA IO HD, the more reasonable it sounds. If I understood correctly I can take my macbook pro to the shoot, and from the Varicam's HD-SDI I can hookup to the IO HD, and while filming I can record directly to disk.

Has anyone tried this setup and is it worthwhile? the questions I have mainly are:
- Will this provide better quality? Is the Apple ProRes 422HQ considerably better than the DVCPro-HD? (it is a greenscreen shoot, so quality is important)
- Will I be able to capture at 60fps with this setup?
- Will a 2 drive raid (e.g. WD Mybook Pro 1TB) suffice in terms of capturing speed? (720p, 10-bit, 60fps)

any other words of advice on the issue would be appreciated,

cheers,

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: IO HD with varicam
on Jun 26, 2007 at 5:48:42 pm

First

The IoHD is not shipping yet so there are not too many that can talk about it.

"Will this provide better quality? Is the Apple ProRes 422HQ considerably better than the DVCPro-HD? (it is a greenscreen shoot, so quality is important)"

10bit out of the HDSDI on the camera will almost always be better than off the 8bit tape as recorded.

Note that Frame rate conversion is NOT supported with the ProRes codec when using the software FRC.

"Will I be able to capture at 60fps with this setup?"

Yes all of the standard 720p frame rates for capture will be supported as there are in the current product line. so that includes 23.98, 24, 25,29.97, 30, 50, 59.94 and 60.

AJA's RP188 abilities should also be in place with the IoHD

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

high1memo
on Jun 26, 2007 at 6:28:17 pm

[gary adcock] "
The IoHD is not shipping yet so there are not too many that can talk about it."

aah, so that would be why I'm having such a hard time finding a place to hire it from! I couldnt find info on the AJA site regarding when it will be released. Is the release date known?

My varicam shoot is in a few weeks, so I guess the IO HD is out of the question and I'll go with the DVCPRO-HD route I was originally planning. In the meantime I think I will keep an eye out on the IO-HD+macbook Pro capturing route as it does seem like a pretty good way to capture (almost) lossless HD direct to disk!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 26, 2007 at 10:45:27 pm

[high1memo] " Is the release date known?"

the last week of july.

" In the meantime I think I will keep an eye out on the IO-HD+macbook Pro capturing route as it does seem like a pretty good way to capture (almost) lossless HD direct to disk! "

I am hoping to be able to post some of my testing results Mid August. keep an eye on the cow.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

high1memo
on Jun 26, 2007 at 10:55:40 pm

cool thanks...

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 26, 2007 at 11:00:44 pm

where can I rent a RED camera with an AJA I/O HD. Can I record the output of this on my laptop ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Garth Annetts
on Jul 4, 2007 at 11:33:06 am

No problem, Bob, you can get one at Hogwarts.
Ask for Voldemort. He might even help you with the output issue.

Learning is not a spectator sport. - D. Blocher

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]