FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProIO - Audio Glitches?!?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DanSaysHi
ProIO - Audio Glitches?!?
on Jun 15, 2007 at 4:18:06 pm

Hi all!
I'm a long time reader of the COW (mostly on the AE forum) and have now come to this, the wonderful AJA IO forum for help. I recently started a job at a new company as in-house editor, and lo and behold, the problems just came flooding in. I was told they've gone through 3 AJA IO boxes now, and I just recieved the 4th replacement for a faulty box yesterday. It worked great for an hour or so and then I started getting digital pops in my audio tracks on SDI ingest. Updated my drivers and the problem seemed to go away. Today, I come in, and the pops are back. I'm also seeing digital noise come up on my capture screen and monitor when playback is stopped whilst logging, and the pops have begun occuring on plaback from my timeline as well. I'm guessing the problem lies not in the boxes we've went through but instead it is in the wiring of our system. Does anyone know of any signals that can fry a ProIO? Or something else that could be wrong?

Quick run down of the system:

FCP 5.0.4
ProIO, Firmare 24/28, driver V2.0.1
Quad 2.5 G5 w/4.5GB of RAM, OS X 10.4.9
Half populated XServe RAID for storage
DVW-A500 Sony Digibeta deck used for ingest

Please please please help if you can! I'm about ready to bang my head through a wall. Thanks for all your help!

- Dan

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: ProIO - Audio Glitches?!?
on Jun 15, 2007 at 5:54:57 pm

How's the power in the building? Do you have a power conditioner running on your gear?

What's everything plugged into (Aside from the obvious wall outlet)?

Have you tried a different deck or source?

Try updating to v3.0 of the drivers (that shouldn't be the problem, I think you are right about some bad surges spreading through your system).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

DanSaysHi
on Jun 15, 2007 at 6:02:29 pm

Hi Jeremy,
Yea, I'm beginning to think it's a surge thing. I tried ingesting via component and the same problem was occuring. It's also coming in pn playback and output now (so it's just getting progressively worse). I've suggested to my boss that we need a power conditioner in the machine rack and in my IO rack; I'm hoping that might fix things. We are running everything off of wall outlets using surge protectors only, so I'm thinking we might just be getting some spikes that are throwing the boxes off. I also tried updating the drivers... to no avail. Thanks for the speedy reply!

- Dan

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jun 15, 2007 at 6:06:47 pm

Yeah, if you have been through 4 boxes, it's time to get an electrician to come take a look.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 15, 2007 at 10:45:48 pm

you have a DVW-A500, and a Pro I/O ? You are using SDI ?

If you do not have a COLOR BLACK GENERATOR hooked up to your DVW-A500 and your AJA I/O (like a Horita BSG-50 - soon I will say an AJA GEN10)
then you will get ALL KINDS OF AUDIO DISTORTION. I discovered this a long time ago, laying off from AVID systems to the DVW-A500 without a reference generator.

Make sure that you have color black going into the Ref Video input of the DVW-A500 (your blue STOP light should not be flashing), and the REFERENCE IN of the AJA I/O box. Make sure that you have a 75 ohm terminator on the looping input of the AJA I/O , and that you have the 75 ohm switch to ON on the DVW-A500 Ref Video input. If you do not lock this machine when you use the SDI input, you will all kinds of issues.

If someone says "we've been using the A500 for years without a black generator" - well, theyv'e been going it wrong for years.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

DanSaysHi
on Jun 20, 2007 at 2:09:12 pm

Well thanks for the information, Bob! I know the current sync box we're using doesn't have a color black output; do you have any boxes you would recommend that you know work well with the A500? Thanks again for all of your help, everybody! Cheer to the COW community!

- Dan

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 25, 2007 at 12:04:49 am

if the current sync box you have doesn't have any black outputs, it's 25 years old. Of course, the correct answer is the AJA GEN10, but ITS NOT OUT YET. So get a cheapo Horita BSG-50, and you will have no more issues.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Eddie Torre
on Jun 21, 2007 at 11:24:39 pm

Just curious,

How come you are using the V2 driver, shouldn't you be using V3?

I've had many of those symptoms in the past, but they were all fixed with subsequent updates with the driver.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]