FORUMS: list search recent posts

IO and HD what is the best solution?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rainer Wirth
IO and HD what is the best solution?
on May 31, 2007 at 3:14:30 pm

I'm thinking of going HD: I have an IO and its working very good.
What are your suggestions adding HD?

Rainer Wirth

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: IO and HD what is the best solution?
on May 31, 2007 at 3:37:34 pm

If you want to finish in ProRes, the IO HD will be a great box.

If you need uncompressed, then you need super fast drives and I'd suggest the Kona LH or Kona 3.

How are you getting your HD footage? Is it 1080i or 720p? Is it 23.98 or 60P? What are you finishing to? (Answer these questions if you want more feedback)

-Russ

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on May 31, 2007 at 5:08:15 pm

Thanks for your input.
Mainly I'm working on SD. But sometimes an HD shows up. I've got an Panasonic HD Control monitor(Makes SD as well) and one Bus is still free. Storage is no problem, because I#ve got an Xserve Raid and a SCSI Raid. I still want to continue with my IO, because it is very good and reliable. The card has to work with the IO together. The AJA Tech recommended the Kona LH. Mainly I got P2 HD Material, so I need a monitoring. If the customer still wants a Tape, I can borrow a HDCAM or HDDVCPRO. Normally people want to have the feeling of HD, because a SD DVD stands at the end. How do you downconvert?
Because this seems to me a major point in loosing quality what we are fighting for.

Rainer

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on May 31, 2007 at 5:54:00 pm

If you get a Kona LH, what do you need the IO for?

[Rainer Wirth] "How do you downconvert?"

I created my own settings in compressor after doing several tests. I downconvert to 10-bit uncompressed (soon to use ProRes) then deliver it to our DVD authoring company. But sometimes different footages needs some adjustments (especially if there is a lot of text).

As much as every one hates it, compression is an science, not a setting.

-Russ

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on May 31, 2007 at 6:26:43 pm

good question.

thanks for the downconvert tips

Rainer

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on May 31, 2007 at 6:31:36 pm

If you have an full blown io, I'd go for the Kona3 (or KOna 3X). Or you can simply wait for the ioHD and work in ProRes.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 31, 2007 at 8:45:07 pm

this is correct - the Kona 3.
The "AJA Tech" that recommended the LH (when you already own the I/O) is not an AJA Tech. Get the Kona 3. The perfect compliment to the I/O.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walnut crunch
on Jun 4, 2007 at 4:19:08 pm

Just tacking on to the end of this because I have a similar question. All my footage is hdv or p2. Mostly p2. We're getting brand new macpro's and final cut studio 2.

Is there a card I need? We're delivering through digital files, and we don't do any analogue capture or capture from decks other than our HDV deck.

The big question is monitoring and acceleration of DVCPROHD and HDV. We're trying to keep costs in line, and that's why I'm asking instead of just throwing money at the question and buying things.

I was thinking of the mxo for monitoring, or spending a bit more and getting an LH for basic acceleration and monitoring. What's the best cheap route to go?

The main thing we're trying to build is hiccup free workflow.

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Jun 4, 2007 at 4:21:33 pm

What video monitor are you going to be using? Are you going to be color correcting?

-Russ

Return to posts index

walnut crunch
on Jun 4, 2007 at 4:27:45 pm

We don't have a monitor yet. We're looking at consumer HDTV. We deliver to a collection of 32 LCD's, Plasma's, and HD projectors. None of them are calibrated. So we're all over the map. For that reason, I'm not putting a lot of pressure on our monitoring. I just want it to work well enough that we can get a good idea of focus, and the impact of seeing things on a larger screen. We'll be doing a fair amount of colour work but, again, it's for delivery to our screens, not for broadcast clearance.

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Jun 4, 2007 at 4:33:25 pm

I would suggest the Blackmagic Intensity cards. The you could purchase consumer HDTVs that you like and connect it directly over HDMI. They're inexpensive cards which is nice.

I would describe your color correcting needs as non-crucial. With a little testing, you'll be able to make decent decisions with this set up.

-Russ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]