FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wishing they could combine the Kona3 and IO HD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
audioeditor
Wishing they could combine the Kona3 and IO HD
on May 30, 2007 at 6:17:56 pm

I love all the ins and outs of the IO HD but is any of that worth giving up the the acceleration of the Kona3. I'm thinking not!

What we do is hard editing, keying and the general work of puting a spot together. The Kona makes all that faster but the IO HD won't help with any of that "down in the pits" stuff that we need accelerated. And yet the Kona3 doesn't even take in analog video!

Come on AJA give us an IO HD that also accelerates like the Kona3, then you'll have a monster!

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: Wishing they could combine the Kona3 and IO HD
on May 30, 2007 at 8:53:18 pm

So AJA people at NAB hinted that timecode would be on a future Kona card, but you didn't hear it from me:)

I'm with you though, I'd love to see an updated Kona card that competes with the options of the AJA IO HD.

First things first though, let's let them get the AJA IO HD working right and shipping before we start getting on their case.

To all you AJA people that read this though, thanks in advance for the AJA IO HD and future Kona cards to come! (don't disappoint us)

-Russ

Return to posts index

audioeditor
on May 31, 2007 at 1:38:25 pm

Well, it turns out they have combined the Kona 3 and the IO HD! It's called the Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse!

The key being that it's powered by PCI express which has ten times the speed of firewire 800.

So you get acceleration AND all the IOs you'll ever need. Nice going Blackmagic!

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on May 31, 2007 at 1:43:02 pm

[audioeditor] "So you get acceleration AND all the IOs you'll ever need. Nice going Blackmagic!
"

So how do I hook that up to my MacBook Pro? My Express/34 card is already taken up by my SATA raid.

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on May 31, 2007 at 2:44:36 pm

[audioeditor] "Well, it turns out they have combined the Kona 3 and the IO HD! It's called the Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse!"

Not really. Where's the timecode in and out?

It's still pretty neat though, but if I were going to spend more than just a couple of hundred dollars on something, I'd buy an AJA product over Blackmagic Design.

-Russ

Return to posts index

uncompressed
what acceleration?
on May 31, 2007 at 3:42:12 pm

i didnt get the previous post about acceleration. the only thing hardware accelerated in the FCP universe is the RT extreme architecture in the Kona 3. this is good for the scaled HD codec like HDV, XDCAM and DVCPRO HD and operators in those fomats will notice RT like you cannot get without the kona hardware.

to be clear, IOHD does not have that, IOHD seems to be based on the concept that since apple introduced PRORES 422- a full raster format. as we all will see, much of what was done uncompressed now does not necessarily have to be since this is a viable option. IOHD brings that to the laptops as well as legacy hardware that a PCI-card cannot do. so in that sense, if you own one of those machines, IOHD is the lifeline to the workflow of today as defined by FCS2.

IOHD does much of the work on the way in and out that is high end and professional--the hardware up, down, cross and aspect ratios on the fly. the encoding to ProRes 422. all happens in the box.

if you simply need analog to the Kona 3 because you work in compressed HD camera native formats, the HD10AVA does the trick with 4 channels of embedded audio. adding that to the kona 3 allows all formats from DVHS to a real 2k workflow.

i think these are two different products with some overlap, but at the end of the day, one of them can serve an editors needs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]