FORUMS: list search recent posts

kona ls or IO la

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Blakeslee
kona ls or IO la
on May 8, 2007 at 8:52:49 pm

I've read everything I can find form AJA but I can't seem to find the advantage of one over another between the Kona LS at about $1,000. and the AJA Io LA at about $1,000. They both capture what I want , component, composite and s-video at 10 bit. One's a pci card and one stands alone through a Firewire connection. Is one better suited for certain types fo work?

Thanks,

Richard

Return to posts index

Ed
Re: kona ls or IO la
by
on May 8, 2007 at 9:02:19 pm

The Kona has SDI and AES, the IO doesn't. You can hook your IO up to your laptop, not so with the Kona.
Ed

Return to posts index

Richard Blakeslee
on May 8, 2007 at 9:21:35 pm

Thanks Ed -- the SDI is important note. Also the iola firewire lets one move it around. I also found this in the FCP Forum: (I thought the part about the Timebase Corrector was interesting. I hadn't read that anywhere else -- and I was planning to capture some older Umatic 3/4 inch. So I think the Kona LS might be the right card for me. -- one other downside -- I have a G4 33/66 PCI slots -- When I go to the G5 it has PCI Express slots -- so the card won't work -- need the Kona LSe)

Name: AJA Sales Department
Date: Mar 23, 2005 at 3:27:57 pm
Subject: Re: Kona LS vs. Io LA
Hello-
The Io LA and KONA LS do share some similarities, but here are a few differences:

- KONA LS supports 10-bit SDI and 12-bit analog video, Io LA supports 10-bit analog video
- KONA LS supports 2-ch.analog audio, 2-ch. AES and 6-ch. embedded digital audio, Io LA is 4-ch. analog audio (all 24-bit on all models)
- Io LA connects via Firewire, for 10-bit uncompressed and more, making it very flexible and portable for use on multiple machines, and/or Powerbooks (when properly configured)
- KONA LS supports KONA Desktop, for Photoshop, etc. Io LA does not.
- Io LA has simultaneous component, composite, and s-video output. KONA LS is either component, or s-video and composite.
- KONA LS supports JPEG, and 24-frame (3:2 pulldown) material
- Both KONA and Io product lines have RS-422 built-in
- Both KONA and Io products have a 3-year warranty, and unlimited technical support.

More information can be found here:
http://www.aja.com/products_Io.html#iola
http://www.aja.com/products_kona.html

Hopefully this helps! If not, please feel free to contact us with any questions, at sales@aja.com, or (530) 274-2048, (800) 251-4224 US.

Name: Francois Stark
Date: Mar 24, 2005 at 3:20:07 am
Subject: Re: Kona LS vs. Io LA

You left out the best part: Kona LS includes a timebase corrector, which allows it to capture from VHS and umatic. NO other card or external capture box from any other manufacturer that is compatible with FCP does this.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 9, 2007 at 2:31:57 pm

if you splurge and get the regular AJA I/O for $2000, you will have absolutely everything, from firewire connectivity, to SDI inputs, with AES and embedded audio. It will work on laptops, and G5 towers. It does everything (except HD). No one ever regretted getting the full I/O.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]