FORUMS: list search recent posts

ioHD- Does it change the laptop v. desktop decision?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Doyle
ioHD- Does it change the laptop v. desktop decision?
on May 6, 2007 at 12:02:02 pm

I got rid of my old dual Gig G4 a while back and went with a MBP 17" Core Duo, as the desktop Intels weren't out yet. Now using HDV and shooting 24p, I've been thinking it's time to get back to a desktop, but I hate to give up the portability.

Along comes the ioHD announcement and it seems that it creates a resurgence in the viability of the laptop by leaving a majority of the processing to the box (and of course eliminating the whole long GOP editing nightmare). I don't do this stuff for a living and therefore don't have to have the fastest machine available, but have grown weary of having to wait on the computer when I could be editing.

I know desktops will always provide the maximum horsepower, but how much effect do you think the ioHD will have in narrowing the gap? Cashwise, I think my options are 1) sell the MBP and get a top-of-the-line desktop or 2) add the ioHD to my current setup. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill Doyle

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: ioHD- Does it change the laptop v. desktop decision?
on May 6, 2007 at 1:08:39 pm

Bill writes -
I don't do this stuff for a living and therefore don't have to have the fastest machine available

REPLY -
If you don't make money doing this stuff, and don't have professional delivery requirements, then why buy ANY of this gear. Just go firewire in and out, and be done with it. Products like the I/O HD, Multibridge, Eclipse, Kona, etc. are for professionals, that support their families with this equipment. If you have having fun, go firewire, and take your money, and do something useful with it.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on May 6, 2007 at 1:16:17 pm

[Bill Doyle] "I've been thinking it's time to get back to a desktop, but I hate to give up the portability."

You don't have to give up portability. You can keep the MBP & simply buy a desktop for your other needs.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Bill Doyle
on May 6, 2007 at 3:29:10 pm

Bob and Arnie,

Thanks for the replies. The bottom line is that I don't enjoy editing in native HDV and the inability to get a card for a laptop to transcode has lead me to the ioHD.

Any thoughts on the more generic part of my quesion- do you think the ioHD, with the hardware ProRes codec, has or will change the thinking on the viability of a laptop v. desktop in closing the gap?

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on May 6, 2007 at 3:49:33 pm

[Bill Doyle] "do you think the ioHD, with the hardware ProRes codec, has or will change the thinking on the viability of a laptop v. desktop in closing the gap?"

I don't think about it in those terms, so I'd be the wrong one to ask. To me, these are different combinations of tools to work in different environments, or to meet specific needs for certain projects.

And I believe in setting up a workflow system specifically to meet the needs of the project on hand, not in making the project conform to my existing setup.

Do you need the mobility? If so, then a MBP with an IOHD is one of the best options. If not, then an IOHD with a MP is still a very powerful choice. If you need true uncompressed, any dual-link SDI or 2k workflow, then you won't get it from an IOHD, you'll need a Kona 3. I can see many situations where both a laptop on set with IOHD and a MP tower in the edit suite with a Kona 3 are needed.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

uncompressed
Re: ioHD- it change the laptop for sure!
on May 8, 2007 at 4:34:52 am

"do you think the ioHD, with the hardware ProRes codec, has or will change the thinking on the viability of a laptop v. desktop in closing the gap? "

oh, definitely it is closing the gap! it wont replace desktops, but what can be done in the field for HD wont be the same after this ships in july.

HDV on a laptop is near punishment if you are pushing pixels. scaling, IBP compression, no monitoring. ioHD brings full raster, i-frame and monitoring. it makes laptops use a codec they could not have used in capture.

so here is the beauty. if you bought a desktop for heavy work you could use the ioHD on both.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 8, 2007 at 5:42:37 pm

you people are all wacky. The "fantasy" is to have the laptop, and to be able to capture and edit with nothing but this little tiny package that you walk into a hotel room with. The "fantasy" is based on a DV (or HDV) camera, a single firewire cable, and the laptop.

Now, bring in real life - especially when you need the I/O HD or any similar product to interface to professional VTR's. First, you have the VTR's - they are big, and require a LOT of cabling - what cabling ? You don't know in advance, so you bring A LOT OF CABLES with you, just in case. And a lot of adaptors. This is a small road case, not including the VTR (or VTR's). Now you need a TV monitor, unless you use the hotels TV in the room (and you need cables for that). And you need speakers, and a small mixer. And your in a hotel, or on location, so you need a UPS so you don't blow up your equipment, and some AC outlet strips. Client wants to take a VHS with them to their room, or a DVD, so you need a DVD-R.

The "fantasy" is shooting with the HD camera, and on your shoulder is the laptop running FCP (or VTR XChange, etc). recording your ProRes422 video (or uncompressed, etc). You planning on shooting for 2 days on your internal hard drive ?

I just don't see the continuous appeal of trying to use the laptop instead of the mini tower G5, when you have 4-5 other road cases full of equipment and cables. Forget about doing a hi end pro job - if you are doing a convention video for a group of 300 people in conference room, you need STUFF to make this happen.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on May 8, 2007 at 9:20:18 pm

You are pretty funny Bob. If you are going to a conference (like in Orlando) and you need extra stuff, you simply rent from the staging company. No need to travel with monitors unless you really need to. All the other stuff (an ioHD, a drive array, and cables) can fit in a large pelican case and a suit case while you carry on your laptop to watch DVDs from the long flight across the country. If you aren't going to a conference and you need extra stuff (like high end VTRs), chances are the resources you need to get a deck on set will be available, along with craft services, personal chefs and a trailer with wireless high speed internet.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 9, 2007 at 2:35:28 pm

yea yea - craft services, and personal chef. The I/O HD SUCKS - can it microwave popcorn, can it make coffee? How will Walter use it on Good Eats, when the I/O HD can't bake a cake. The junk they make these days. When I was young, you would buy a Sony 1" VTR or a GVG200 switcher, and it would make cookies, and hot chocolate. Those TBC controls on the lower panel, doubled as oven temperature.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on May 9, 2007 at 2:43:17 pm

Well, if it means anything to you...if not vented properly, my MacBook Pro can double as a griddle. Great for breakfast...eggs, french toast, bacon. Try that with an expensive deck.

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on May 10, 2007 at 5:55:36 am

It truly is a breath of fresh air hearing Bob vent!
It was also good swilling a few good margaritas with you and meeting you at the Hard Rock in Lost Wages!
Rock on!

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on May 10, 2007 at 3:01:35 pm

.... and my Ampex 2" Quad inflated the tires on the production trailer... ahhh, for the good ol' days of FLEXIBLE gear!

Return to posts index

David Smith
on May 11, 2007 at 1:20:53 am

[Bob Woodhead] "and my Ampex 2" Quad inflated the tires on the production trailer.."

Hey Bob, I tried that feature once, but then we loaded in the three modules of an HS-100 slo-mo machine so we could get a whole thirty seconds of slow motion.... and the the tires went flat again..... :-(

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on May 17, 2007 at 6:24:25 pm

I don't know about that Bob... I did an HD edit on my laptop during a road trip recently (Using DVCPROHD clips and FW 800 drive), and it was a wonderful thing to behold... Io HD and Pro Res with eSATA drives would be a perfect road warrior's setup.. add a monitoring solution, and I'll bet you could put it all in an avil case setup and be quite portable, and powerful enough to actually make sense of this...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D

Return to posts index

sinsistema
on May 22, 2007 at 8:11:11 pm

I HAVE A QUESTION...
IT WILL BE POSSIBLE TO CAPTURE LIVE INTO THE HD ANALOG COMPONENT OF THE AJA IO HD FROM THE ANALOG HD OUT OF A PANASONIC HVX200? OR THIS IS ONLY POSSIBLE WITH HD SDI OUTPUT LIKE THE CANON H1...
I MEAN USING THE PRO RES HQ CODEC AND GET THIS FILES IN THE HD OF A MACBOOK PRO.... WATH IS THE FRAME SIZE IN THIS CASE?

SORRY ABOUT MY POOR ENGLISH... I AM WRITING FROM ARGENTINA...

SEBASTIAN

sebastian toro -
sinsistema.tv

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on May 23, 2007 at 1:08:25 am

Ahhh, Argentina. Are you in Buenos Aries by chance? If so, give my love to Buenos Aries for me, if not well, give my love to chimichurri on a churripan and a nice bottle of malbec.

In response to your question, yes you will be able to. The analog ins and outs support HD. Depending on what format you shoot will be the frame size. 720p will be 1280x720 and 1080i/p will be 1920x1080. You can also of course cross convert on capture to if you are shooting 720p and need 1080 media, the ioHD will do that for you or vice versa.

You english is great by the way. No worries.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

sinsistema
on May 23, 2007 at 4:55:43 pm

Thanks jeremy. And yes i am in Bs As. I will sent your love to those things, in fact i do it on my own every week.

I was thinking of buying the HVX200 and in the near future the IO HD. I expect to work mostly in a complete Pro res HQ workflow and then masterize in tape renting an HD deck (dvc pro HD / hd cam / hdv ) through the IO HD outputs or directly to an HD-DVD

in fact now i am thinking about the JVC PRO HD cam series. In this way i skip the poor HDV compression.

saludos...

sebastian.

sebastian toro -
sinsistema.tv

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on May 23, 2007 at 7:18:59 pm

You are thinking correctly and I think the ioHD will be great for these kind of situations.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]