FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Bars on sides of 720x486 IOLA beta footage

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed
Black Bars on sides of 720x486 IOLA beta footage
by
on May 2, 2007 at 6:59:02 pm

I've been digitizing some Beta tapes with my IOLA and the captured clips have 5-6 pixels
of black on both the right and left side of the captured footage. I played bars out from FCP to the deck (a UVW-1800) and then digitized that back into FCP, and the black bar only shows up on the left side (weird). I've got a call in to AJA, but I thought maybe someone has an idea here.
FCP settings are Capture: Betacam 8-bit UC. Sequence UC 8-bit.
TIA,
Ed

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Black Bars on sides of 720x486 IOLA beta footage
on May 2, 2007 at 7:33:41 pm

Is it out of the normal overscan? If so, you are all good. You have to remember Beta is analog and will have slightly different blanking than a digital camera. IF the shift is inside of overscan, perhaps your need to realign your Beta deck, but I bet what you are seeing is all good.

I am not sure who shot the tapes, but perhaps they used a bar & tone generator to pre-stripe their beta tapes, which might have been a different signal with different blanking that gets recorded by the camera. Make sense?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on May 2, 2007 at 8:29:40 pm

Thanks Jeremy,
It's OK as far as overscan, it's the TV station I'm worried about. I don't want to run afoul of
their engineers and have to start over. I've hooked up a DVD player through the IO now too, to eliminate the Beta deck as the problem, and I'm getting black bars still.
Ed

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on May 2, 2007 at 8:42:49 pm

ANy chance you can post a still image? I am sure you are okay, video often does not stretch raster to raster perfectly. Yay overscan!

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on May 3, 2007 at 3:38:35 am

According to AJA, this is unusual. I have a bunch of DVC Pro50 and other Beta sourced clips that when opened in QT Player, fill the 720, but my Beta stuff and the Bars I generate from FCP through the IO don't.
AJA is Fed Exing me a new IO tomorrow.
Ed

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on May 4, 2007 at 3:03:56 am

Yeah, sounds a little problematic.

Return to posts index

Chris
on May 5, 2007 at 2:33:00 pm

This is completely normal. Analog sources have always had a pixel or three of black around some or all of the edges. 3/4in tape is even worse. When you bring in Beta footage and play back to your monitor u will not even see it. Shrink a video clip back into a small box and you will. I have always cropped the black when less than full screen. Don't even worry about it. I have seen this with Media 100, insync razor/DPS, black magic, aja, it's normal trust me.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on May 5, 2007 at 4:42:18 pm

I'm with you, Chris. I felt the exact same way.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on May 7, 2007 at 4:24:38 pm

Thanks guys,
But AJA themselves don't think the 5-6 pixels I have on each side is normal, and it's only recently been that much using my IOLA, which I've owned for a few years.
Further testing using other video sources, as well as outputting bars from
FCP direct then bringing them back in to FCP shows them too.
AJA thinks it's odd enough that I'm receiving a brand new IOLA by FedEx any minute now.
They're a great company for customer service.
I've always had a few pixels of black, but this went a bit further than "normal".
Ed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]