FORUMS: list search recent posts

S cable into AJA io OR just go firewire directly?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Notowitz
S cable into AJA io OR just go firewire directly?
on Apr 27, 2007 at 7:12:35 pm

I need to copy footage from a Sony VX2000 in the best possible way to preserve the quality of the image. I could come out of the camera via firewire or via an S cable (and RCA cables for audio of course).

If I used the S cable I would put the S into the AJA io then go into my Mac Book, or something else?

Preserving the highest quality of the image possible is CRUCIAL, and budget is less of an issue.

What do you recommend? Since the footage is on mini-DV already, would there be ANY quality difference between the firewire or the S cable?

Thanks,
David

Notowitz Productions
Videos that touch the heart.
http://www.Notowitz.com

Notowitz Productions

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: S cable into AJA io OR just go firewire directly?
on Apr 27, 2007 at 7:18:14 pm

Find a dv deck with SDI or component out and capture your dv footage as 10 bit. Some people will argue that this won't make a difference, but you be the judge.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Notowitz
on Apr 27, 2007 at 7:27:54 pm

Jeremy,
OK, let's say I rent a deck or borry one with SDI or component out. With my new MacBook, what's the best way to capture this into 10 bit?
Thanks,
David

Notowitz Productions

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 27, 2007 at 7:37:15 pm

With your AJA io or capture card with drives that are fast enough to handle the 10 bit media.

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Apr 27, 2007 at 9:34:41 pm

Hey David,

OK, let's be real here. If you're using a VX2000 and a MacBook (not MacBook Pro), preserving the highest quality of the image possible is NOT crucial, and budget is a HUGE issue.

You can't add a capture card to a MacBook. You can't add any SATA or Fibre channel external hard drives to capture to (no card slot in a MacBook). The only thing you can add is a Fire Wire external drive and it can conflict with the Io which is also using the FW bus (you may have some success with this however, search the posts here and on the FCP forums - but its not recommended).

So the reality for you (unless you upgrade your equipment - Pro series Mac, Fast hard drives, etc), is that in your case I recommend you just capture through Firewire directly (unless your camera/deck has component or SDI (probably not S) video out, then capture through to Io).

If you capture directly to your MacBook through it's own Firewire port, then you may need to disconnect your Io while capturing. Then reconnect it afterwards, so you can use it to connect your external monitor and decks.

The video you capture will look good (considering the camera/source) and will likely be more than acceptable for your needs

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 27, 2007 at 11:43:02 pm

[Tony!] "You can't add a capture card to a MacBook. "

Good catch, I ASSuMEd a MacBook Pro.

Return to posts index

David Notowitz
on Apr 30, 2007 at 5:15:24 pm

Yes, MacBook Pro. I was a little mixed up with the name designations with the new models. Planning on buying the pro laptop today or tomorrow. Actually might be buying two of them.

Notowitz Productions

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 30, 2007 at 5:18:35 pm

Then get yourself an io and capture to 10 bit uncompressed. I suggest a 2 disk SATA array, at least, to capture 10 bit SD.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]