FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Tape Trouble. Check VTR." Error Message....

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nateboston
"Tape Trouble. Check VTR." Error Message....
on Apr 6, 2007 at 2:49:25 pm

Hello All,

Well I keep trying to load a DVCAM tape with my Sony DSR-1500 deck, via SDI, through my AJA I/O, and I consistently get this error message:

"Tape Trouble. Check VTR. Do not attempt to eject tape or use transport without checking VTR first."

When I get this message the capture window in FCP freezes, but the tape keeps rolling. Then I click okay a couple of times (yes it takes at least 2 times to get this message to go away), and I get this:

"Dropped frames were detected in Pop!Tech Load 2004 during the last capture attempt"

....OR....

"End of Tape. Final Cut Pro has reached the end of the tape."

However....the tape is no where near the end! In fact, yup, it's still rolling!

So far, I have dumped my preferences for FCP. I have uninstalled the AJA software, then re-installed, including drivers. I have power cycled everything off, then on. I have unchecked "Report dropped frames during playback" in my FCP user preferences. Where is says "On time code break:" I have selected "Warn After Capture."

What else am I doing wrong?!?! I have run disk utility on the external HD I'm trying to record to. It may also be helpful to note that I'm trying to capture AJA Io: SDI AES/EBU 8-bit NTSC to DV 48 kHz. And when I try to "capture now" I get the same issues...

Thanks!
Nate

Return to posts index

Bill Portune
Re: "Tape Trouble. Check VTR." Error Message....
on Apr 6, 2007 at 10:07:43 pm

I was having the same trouble with my Kona 2 and DigBeta/HDCAM decks. I switched to using my IO's RS422 control, and for the moment (since last night), I haven't seen the error again.

Return to posts index

cacker
on May 24, 2007 at 1:55:49 pm

I, too was having this same issue with DigiBeta deck, FCP and AJA Kona 2 card. Never happened before (even on long captures). After trying 3 different decks to no avail, then reading this post and realizing the issue seemed to be with RS422, I simply changed cat 5 patch cable (I run from my suite to an equipment room, where control can be switched to different machines through a patch panel).

Anyway, that did the trick. So, be sure to have "clean" RS422 paths.

Chris

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 8, 2007 at 12:33:11 pm

I will make several guesses. When the AJA RS422 becomes defective, you usually get NO COMMUNICATION as the error, not the errors that you are getting back which, to my knowlege, are generated by the VTR's serial port (like Tape Trouble, check VTR). So, since you have done all the obvious stuff like uninstalling and reinstalling the AJA drivers, could you change the RS422 cable itself (and I assume you are not going thru an AB box, or RS422 patch panel, or router). Go direct with a new cable to the DSR1500. And if you have the luxury of trying another VTR with RS422 control (like a Beta 1800, etc.), please try that to see if it acts differently. You certainly can have a serial port problem with the AJA I/O, but it's pretty unlikely (but anything is possible). I know it's easy for me to say "try another VTR", but if you don't have access to one, this can be impossible.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

nateboston
on Apr 11, 2007 at 2:57:17 pm

Hey thanks for the response!

So I don't have another RS422 cable to try this with, nor do I have another deck to try. So I made a quick fix decision and bipassed the AJA I/O entirely. I just went straight Firewire from the deck to the Mac, and everything is working great. The only draw back is I can't load the video in Uncompressed 10-bit, but they're DVCAM tapes so the DV codec is just fine for this application.

Anyway, I think you are dead on about the RS422 cable (or possibly the serial port on the deck) being the culprit. Too bad there wasn't an easier way to troubleshoot this problem :-(

Thanks!

Return to posts index

paradise2012
on Apr 19, 2007 at 12:38:55 am

Just started getting the same message also with HDCAM (J-H3 deck). We recently updated to 10.4.9, I wonder if that might be related? Also we use Kona 3 w/ Rev 3.3 drivers. We do use a device control switchbox, and have for over a year with no previous trouble...

Return to posts index

Tom
by
on Apr 19, 2007 at 3:13:05 pm

We are having the same problem with our captures, using our JH3 HDCAM deck, Mac OS 10.4.9, and KONA 2 card.

Just ran out to B&H to try a tape cleaning cassette - to no luck. Also tried all of the other usual procedures with preferences, reinstallations, etc.

I would agree it has to do with the new OS, as our cables are under no environmental stress, and it just started happening. In addition, when the deck is having a problem, it reports it on the deck's display. In this case, no display.

going to call AJA next. Does anyone know how to downgrade the OS by one version?

Tom

Return to posts index

Tom
by
on Apr 19, 2007 at 4:24:45 pm

Okay, so we called AJA, and although they don't have specific knowledge as to how this issue may relate to the version of the OS, they do have a patch that basically tells FCP to "chill out" when pinging the VTR through the RS 422 I/O.

I've installed the patch, and it appears to have solved the issue. The name of the patch is:

DisableAltETTPolling.txt

Tom

Return to posts index

Bill Portune
on Apr 19, 2007 at 10:55:05 pm

Thanks Tom! I don't see the patch on AJA's site, where can I find it?

Return to posts index

Tom
by
on Apr 20, 2007 at 2:14:32 am

Send me your e-mail address, and I'll send you what they sent to me. However, note that I cannot take any responsibility for it.

Tom

Return to posts index

paradise2012
on Apr 20, 2007 at 2:18:00 am

Hi,

I'd like the patch too if you don't mind...

creativecow@paradise2012.com

Thanks,

Todd

Return to posts index

Bill Portune
on Apr 20, 2007 at 1:56:23 pm

Thanks, I appriciate your help!

hbibill@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Apr 20, 2007 at 7:59:59 pm

Me too of possible!
Same issues with our deck.
tom@pulsedms.com

tom

Return to posts index

ghikikomori
on Apr 24, 2007 at 2:50:16 pm

Same problem here!

My setup: Quad-Xeon Macpro, OSX 10.4.8, Kona 3, SRW-1 HDCam VTR...

Did you upgrade to 10.4.9? would it solve the issue? What OS are you using?
I just emailed AJA support but if you were so kind please send me the file they sent you to:

skinskk@yahoo.es

Thanks!

da Postpo-dude!
Quimera Producciones, Madrid.

Return to posts index

paradise2012
on Apr 24, 2007 at 3:58:15 pm

The patch didn't work for me, still about 5 errors per hour.

Please contact AJA directly if you want to try the patch here's the contact:

Jim Schroeder
AJA Video Technical Support

Email: jims@aja.com
Phone: 530-271-3177

If you don't need timecode or deck control, you can get a solid capture by selecting NON-CONTROLLABLE DEVICE.

-Todd

Return to posts index

keicol
on May 26, 2007 at 1:57:17 am

Can someone send me the patch please, thanks

keicol at aol dot com

Return to posts index

progrocktv
on Jun 15, 2007 at 6:09:24 pm

Me too.
Thanks
progrocktv@hotmail.com

Return to posts index

industryorange
on Jun 4, 2007 at 8:31:21 pm

Hello all, I'm experiencing the same problem with capture in FCP! Anyone still have that patch? Or any other solutions to stop the above problem with the AJA card? Please help! Thanks.

Return to posts index

keicol
on Jun 4, 2007 at 8:51:39 pm

Call AJA before 5pm Pacific time. or post your email.

Return to posts index

industryorange
on Jun 4, 2007 at 8:53:20 pm

Thanks! I got it from AJA Direct. Thank you for the response. I thought this might be faster than AJA.

Return to posts index

Gnu
by
on Jun 5, 2007 at 3:35:59 am

Can someone send me a patch. Its too late for AJA now.
thanks

gnugnushka@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

cmpnsm
on Jun 6, 2007 at 2:08:54 am

I am having the same problem. Anyone mind sending me the patch as well.

cmpnsm@mac.com

Thanks.

Return to posts index

GLoucas
on Jun 30, 2007 at 8:13:05 pm

Can someone PLEASE send me a copy of this patch too. . .

"info@bakedgoodsprod.com"

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

conniesim
on Jul 8, 2007 at 3:24:13 pm

HI. I am having the same problem with my quad poer mac, kona 3 and jh-3 deck. Could you please email me the patch - if i isn;t too much of a problem. I don't want to want until tomorrow because of a deadline. Thanks! Best, Connie

Return to posts index

Tom
by
on Jul 8, 2007 at 4:34:51 pm

Connie,

What's your e-mail address?

Return to posts index

conniesim
on Jul 8, 2007 at 9:09:11 pm

Sorry. connie@paintingclass.net

I have a quad mac pro, a Kona 3 card, and a JH-3 deck. I shot on 2 Sony F900s, and when I capture I keep getting that error. Did it help you?

Thanks! Connie

Return to posts index

YOUSEF ABED ALNABI
on Nov 27, 2007 at 3:19:15 pm

hi tom,
am facing the same problem with sony VTR , could you pleas send me the patch fil. my email address is:

yousef.abdnabi@gmail.com

thanks a million,

Return to posts index

Erik Barstow
on Apr 9, 2008 at 9:54:25 pm

The patch doesn't work for me!!

Has anybody else found a solution to this horrid VTR tape trouble...*^&$@

Called tech support and we have found nothing that works..
I have replace the 422 cable, dumped preferences (many times),
Dumped the P Ram, shut down start up, reconnected all my cables, and asked Jesus for help, and nothing..I get about 3 minutes into capture and it just stops...I don't get it this has never been an issue until just recently..

I'm stumped.

Sony UVW-1800 BetcampSP Deck

AJA IO LA

Thanks for any help I can get..I

I'm going to keep reading posts for clues...

Be well,
Erik

Return to posts index

Adam Simon
on Feb 9, 2009 at 10:49:34 pm

Erik,

Did you ever find a solution? I have also tried all of the "fixes" you mentioned, but they don't last very long. I also get the "NO COMMUNICATION" error. What Mac system are you running and what version of the IoLA firmware do you have?

Thanks,
Adam

Return to posts index

J. Tad Newberry
on Sep 8, 2009 at 12:27:41 am

...it's happening to me, too, though i see this thread is well over a year old. Just got a BMD HD Extreme card, dumped out four tapes the other night (to my 1800) without a hitch, not getting this error. I don't know if the patch will do anything since it seems to be for AJA...

very frustrating. i've been using the Y loop (into Ref In, then out of Ref and back to Y in) for years with my old BMD card, though now Bob Zellin has me convinced to finally get a black burst generator...and i now have one on order, but need to drop some more tapes before the BBG gets here. any help with this problem would be dandy...

Thanks again!

J. Tad Newberry
Big Ya Productions
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core
3 GB RAM
http://www.bigya.tv

Return to posts index

Mias@Kaelo
on Jul 24, 2007 at 7:59:17 am

Can someone PLEASE send me a copy of this patch too. . .

Thanks

Mias
mias@kaelowm.com

Return to posts index

flofactor
on Aug 16, 2007 at 6:13:43 pm

Can someone please send me the patch??

I am about to shoot myself!!

Thanks,
-Jake

jacobtillman@gmail.com

Return to posts index

paradise2012
on Aug 17, 2007 at 6:13:56 am

Is that patch failing for anyone else?

I did just find that disconnecting sync seems to solve the problem. But I'm still looking for a real fix...

Todd

Return to posts index

ChuckG
on Sep 15, 2007 at 2:03:19 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to integrate a Sony PDW F70 with a FCP6 system via 9-pin, and when attempting "capture now" FCP boots me out of capture, with the message "Capture Now has reached the end of the tape. All existing footage between the point where you started the capture and the end of the tape was captured successfully."

I talked to AJA, they thought it might be the same polling issue which produces the "tape error" message. I tried the plugin patch they supplied but it doesn't appear to be the problem.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Any ideas what to do?

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]