FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why am I power cycling my AJA I/O 2-3 times a month?????

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dmastroluca
Why am I power cycling my AJA I/O 2-3 times a month?????
on Apr 5, 2007 at 11:24:42 pm

Here is a typical telephone conversation with one of my editors. This happens 2-3 times a month on any one of our 4 AJA I/O's.

Editor: I can't see any video on the monitor or hear any audio when I play my project on FCP.

Me: Did you power cycle the AJA I/O?

Editor: No

Me: Shut down your FCP Project, quit FCP,power cycle the AJA I/O, restart your FCP project.

Editor: OK

Me: Did it fix the problem?

Editor: Yes

I also have 4 BlackMagic Extremes. They have never ever had to be reset in over a year and a half. What is up with this? Can I possably have 4 "bad" units? I am ready to dump the I/O's for BlackMagic.

Dan Mastroluca
Chief Engineer
KCLV-City of Las Vegas

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Why am I power cycling my AJA I/O 2-3 times a month?????
on Apr 6, 2007 at 1:17:56 am

Dan -
then I suggest that you dump your AJA I/O's and get the Blackmagic units. If you think that the Blackmagic units will work without issue (or anything will just continue to work without issue), then you are in dreamland. I have the exact same experience with the AJA I/O boxes - some clients have to cycle power on the I/O (about once a month) to make "mystery" problems go away. But you know what Dan ? I work on LOTS of equipment, in over 100 facilities. I work on post production equipment from AJA, Blackmagic, LOTS of AVID gear, Leitch/DPS, Sony, and everything else you can think of - including computers from Apple, HP, Dell, and all kinds of stuff. And you know what Dan ? EVERYTHING has issues and problems. EVERYTHING has conflicts. I had problems with CMX Edit controllers, GVG Edit controllers, GVG and CDL switchers, Tek and Leader scopes (and more recently Videotek - now Harris - rastorizer scopes. And they ALL develop problems. This things just don't work all day long - year after year - with no issues. Just look at the Blackmagic forum - what do you think these people are writing about. You sound like the guy that said "hey, my disk drive died, and I lost all my media - I never heard of anyone's disk drive dying - what kind of crap are you selling" - THEY ALL DIE DAN - Apple, Rorke, Medea, HUGE, G-Tech, Lacie, Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, Cal Digit - THEY ALL DIE.

So your "big problem" is that you have to turn off the unit once in a while ? You have a 3 year unconditional warantee from AJA, with great phone support - FREE from AJA. My suggestion to you - get more Blackmagic products. If this is the miracle product for you, may I strongly suggest that you get these products. Like I said - take a glance at the Blackmagic forum on Creative Cow.

And while I am at it - how about corruption in your FCP systems ? Don't you ever have to trash your FCP preferences, or are your Blackmagic systems immune to this ? Because if they are, and work 100% of the time without any issues, or never suffer any "PLUG IN FOLDER" conflicts, then you've got some great magic working at your place. THESE ARE COMPUTERS - they are prone to issues - they have ALWAYS been prone to issues, from the early CMX days, to early NLE systems from EMC and AVID, until today's FCP and Adobe Premier systems - they all have issues.

I'm not being pro AJA here, I am simply stating that your are employed by your facility, because all this technical equipment develops issues for assorted reasons - and for as long as you and I are alive - there will ALWAYS be technical issues - that is why you and I are employed. We resolve these issues. If only they could always be as simple as cycling the power (and you dont' even have to reboot the MAC once you cycle power on the I/O).

By the way Dan, how is your power at your facility? Nice and clean - no spikes, glitches - got a UPS or line conditioner on your systems ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

dmastroluca
on Apr 6, 2007 at 7:02:36 am

"Flaming" refers to the berating of a person in an Internet newsgroup, Web forum or e-mail list by others in the group. Usually, a flame consists of numerous nasty e-mail messages and is provoked, perhaps unwittingly, by its victim's posts. Follow these simple steps to ensure that your Internet communications are friendly and flame retardant.

Instructions

STEP 1: Review the forum's FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) to familiarize yourself with the rules and procedures of the discussion. (I did that)

STEP 2: Scan recent postings to make sure your topic hasn't already been addressed. Newsgroup and Web forum regulars generally find redundant posts extremely irritating (particularly if the topic is addressed in the group's FAQ). (Nothing listed)

STEP 3: Post messages that are relevant to the topic of the forum. (Yep)

STEP 4: Avoid posting advertisements, even if they're related. These are often irritating. (No problem)

STEP 5: Post messages with substance. Avoid posting messages like "Me too" and other empty, uninteresting remarks. (Mine was to the point)

STEP 6: Make sure your subject headings are clear and concise. For example, if you want to verify a new e-mail virus alert on an urban legends message board, type "New e-mail virus alert" instead of "Is this real?" (Clear as day)

STEP 7: Avoid petty insults and irrelevant banter. (No insults by me)

STEP 8: Respond to a post via e-mail if your message is directed toward an individual rather than all users of the group. Remember that all posts are visible to all users. (Can do)

STEP 9: Avoid flaming back if you're flamed. If you made a mistake to provoke the flame, apologize to the group. ( Don't think so...... EAT S--T Crazy BOB!!!)

Dan

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Apr 6, 2007 at 4:09:49 pm

Hi Dan,

To answer your question, the Io does occasionally need power cycling such as you are experiencing. A PCI card, like a KONA or your BM's, basically get hardware "refreshed" and reset every time there is a computer restart, shutdown, etc. Because the Io is an external device, this does not occur during a computer restart.

If you feel the amount of issues you are experiencing with the Io's are out of the ordinary, please feel free to call or email our support group, who will be more than happy to go over any issues with you and find solutions as needed.

support@aja.com
(530) 271-3190 support

Also, I see you're based in Las Vegas, so please stop by our booth at NAB...we're on the aisle, right across from Apple, at booth number SL6113 in the South Hall.

Thank you,

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

dmastroluca
on Apr 6, 2007 at 5:01:14 pm

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. That makes more sense than the ramblings from the earlier reply by crazy Bob. Since the power button is on the back of the unit, and in our case, rack mounted with other deeper rack equipment, my editors have to go behind the rack,crouch down, reach into the maze of cables, find the power button and reset the unit. Has AJA thought about putting a "Refresh" button on the control panel software? Thanks again, and yes I will be visiting your booth.

Dan Mastroluca
Chief Engineer
KCLV-City of Las Vegas

Return to posts index

Lee Berger
on Apr 6, 2007 at 6:09:52 pm

Dan,
The power button location is inconvenient. An inexpensive solution might be a rack mounted power switch such as this one from Markertek.
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=AMDJ%2DPC100A&off=5&sort=pr...

Return to posts index

dmastroluca
on Apr 10, 2007 at 4:06:07 pm

Thanks Lee. Another good idea from the forum. This is how forums should work, not some burnout with a bad attitude ripping you apart when you ask a question.

Dan Mastroluca
Chief Engineer
KCLV-City of Las Vegas

Return to posts index

Lee Berger
on Apr 11, 2007 at 11:03:11 am

Thanks Dan, I wholeheartedly agree. Civility is essential.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 12, 2007 at 4:19:18 pm

Dan decided to attack the AJA I/O product publically, when everyone on this forum knows what an excellent product it is. Certainly , I can appreciate the frustration of having to turn off the I/O (with no easy access on/off switch) for apparantly no reason, but to state that other manufacturers have no issues, other than AJA is simply rediculous, especially comparing it to Blackmagic (and Blackmagic makes very fine products, but they have plenty of issues, as is represented by the user forum on Creative Cow).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael De Lazzer
on Apr 16, 2007 at 4:55:58 am

My Lord. If I could get away with a power down once per month... Avid's Adrenaline box needs to be power cycled twice per DAY. Stop whining. It's a great box by a great company. And, when the thing developed a hiccup in the reference input.. AJA fixed it FREE. Try that anywhere else.

mjd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]