FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aja IO LA - balanced to unbalanced line converter required?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Courtney
Aja IO LA - balanced to unbalanced line converter required?
on Feb 9, 2007 at 2:48:09 am

I wanted to interface a prosumer SVHS deck to the AJA IO LA (which i haven't yet purchased). This deck only uses unbalanced audio RCA inputs/outputs. My video monitor also only accepts unbalanced RCA audio.

Do i need to purchase audio line converters for audio in/out to work, or simply get two unbalanced audio cables with XLR connentor at one end and RCA at the other for sound in and out of the LA?

Thanks in advance!

David

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Aja IO LA - balanced to unbalanced line converter required?
on Feb 9, 2007 at 3:10:55 am

you should buy a small mixer. Consumer audio products (typically indicated by the use of RCA audio connectors) typically have a -10dBu input and output. Professional products (like the AJA, and Sony VTR's) have inputs and outputs of +4dBu - this means that there is a 14 dB difference in level between consumer and professional products. What does this mean in real life - it means that if you send a +4 signal into a -10 input, you will distort the crap out of it. If you send a -10dB signal (your SVHS) into a +4dB input (the AJA, or a Beta VTR), the meters will barely move - you will hardly have any level - it's nominal level is 14 dB too low. The use of balancing amplifiers (like a Henry Matchbox) or an inexpensive mixer will
correct these audio level mismatches. If you get a cheapo transformer that will just convert the RCA to XLR passively, it won't do a thing for the levels, and you will suffer. Crack open that wallet, and get a Behringer mixer for under $100, and your problems will be solved.

Bob ZElin

Return to posts index

David Courtney
Re: Aja IO LA - balanced to unbalanced line converter required?
on Feb 9, 2007 at 3:27:09 am

Many thanks for your prompt and informative reply!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]