FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP freezes with new RAID drives

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jodyberry
FCP freezes with new RAID drives
on Feb 1, 2007 at 3:36:58 am

I'm using the AJA IO LD and had been using external Firewire 800 drives for Uncompressed 8 bit from Betacam. The firewire drives (Lacie 500GB) have a hard time keeping up (37MB/s) so I installed 3 internal SATA drives (with G5 Jive, Sonnet card and 3 Seagate 320MB drives). They're striped RAID 0 thru OSX, and per AJA's speed software have been clocked at 235 MB/s.

But the problem is that FCP keeps freezing every few captures. And it REALLY freezes - I can't even force-quit, I have to restart. If the throughput speed is there (almost 10 times faster) then what could be the issue?? Help!

System is a Quad G5 with OSX, 6GB RAM, FCP ver. 5, and in FCP I am assigning rendering, capture, etc. ALL to the RAID drives. I also tried a tip I found online but to no avail; "Find all versions of quicktime on your system and delete them, then download very newest version from Apple and install"

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Return to posts index

santellavision
Re: FCP freezes with new RAID drives
on Feb 1, 2007 at 4:59:41 pm

This might help. I had a similar issue. It turned out to be one of my RAID drives was flaky. If you can't figure your issue out, try creating a two-drive RAID and see if that fixes it. (You have to keep trying until you find the bad drive)

Ernie Santella
Santella Film/Video Productions
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

jodyberry
on Feb 2, 2007 at 3:29:32 am

WOW - guess what Ernie? I believe one of my drives is bad!! It froze up again and I looked at my Sonnet card and the connection to the bad drive had a solid amber light on the card. I tried RAIDing the 2 remaining 2 drives and it worked fine. I'll be RMAing the bad drive soon and see if another drive works.

You'd think by buying new drives you'd have no problem! Go figure!!

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

nikolas t
on Feb 2, 2007 at 5:20:43 pm

I'm sceptical about adding extra HDD's into G5. It will share heat and power problem with the workstation and become hard to point where the problem coming from.

If you go with external eSATA RAID like Caldigit, your problem will go away. But you can also try not to stripe these drive together. Because disk performance test won't tell you everything. I had very good data rate with others eSATA card, but it was useless and too unstable for editing.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 2, 2007 at 4:57:11 am

quick answer that you don't want. Stick your drives in a external SATA box with a PCI card SATA host controller, and your problems will probably go away.

But that is a simple answer, that may not be accurate. You may have a bad drive. Just plug in ONE DRIVE, and test each drive ONE AT A TIME. I bet your system only freezes on one of the drives (then that's your bad one !). It will freeze at any resolution if its bad, so you can try a lower res for these tests.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

PaulD
on Feb 2, 2007 at 12:46:06 pm

Hi
Interestingly, the Swiftdata G5 internal hard drive mount, which is similar to the G5 Jive, has this warning on its Tech Specs web page:
Do not Use Seagate drives...
http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2490#top

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 3, 2007 at 12:48:27 am

Paul -
you are correct, and I forgot about this - but let me clarify. There were SSC issues with some of the Seagate 7200.9 series drives. This was resolved with all Seagate 7200.10 series drives, which work flawlessly. If you have an external enclosure with a third party SATA card like a Cal Digit or a Sonnet, you will have no issue.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

jodyberry
on Feb 3, 2007 at 2:23:10 am

Interesting, I just sent back a new 7200.10 Seagate drive because it was acting up (1 of a 3 drive array).

Let's hope the replacement is OK!!

Thanks for the info on the upddated Seagates.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]