FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which camera hard drive plays nice with FCP?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Martin
Which camera hard drive plays nice with FCP?
on Jan 30, 2007 at 5:10:44 pm

Hello all,

I have a JVC DV5000 (and plan to purchase a yet to be decided HDV camera) in the near future. I want to purchase a hard drive to attach to my camera to capture the video file as it's being recorded to tape. The idea is to eliminate the capture process for post as well as creating a backup of my raw footage as I shoot.

I looked at the Focus Enhancements website and their product doesn't appear to be compatible with FCP. Seems odd - did I misread or misunderstand the chart? I want to buy one that makes it easy and fast to import into FCP without any transcoding or conversions.

A few questions:

1) What products play nice with FCP and can anybody share experiences?
2) Does the timecode from the tape match the file from the hard drive?
3) If I edit from the imported file and later need to re-capture the project from the original tapes are there any problems with that workflow?

For example, I'll be doing final post on an indi film that the director will be doing an HDV offline cut (native HDV codec) on his macbook then we'll be doing the final edit in our suite (MacPro, Kona3) in the DVCProHD100 codec. So my hope is to open the offline edit session and re-capture from the original HDV tapes via my convergent design converter as DVCProHD files.

I can't really test this workflow until I get my hands on a hard drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: Which camera hard drive plays nice with FCP?
on Jan 31, 2007 at 11:43:20 pm

I'm not sure of the HDV world, but I've been using a Focus Enhancements FS-3 for years in FCP without any issues at all. It has worked everytime with no failures. The files import directly in with no issues and will play on the timeline without any further rendering.
As for importing HDV, I have no eaperience at all. HD Cam yes, HDV no. Have you tried posting this over on the Firestore forum?
Tom

Return to posts index

nikolas t
Re: Which camera hard drive plays nice with FCP?
on Feb 2, 2007 at 5:57:23 pm

I'm not sure they're compatible with FCP, what about HVX200 and Focus FS-100 or Shining Citidisk HD? Of course it won't back up your footage if you don't have enough P2 card capacity. But you'll get much better picture quality and smooth workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]