Jim Cunningham
frozen frame 90 min digitize
on Nov 10, 2006 at 4:08:17 am

1.5Ghz Laptop, (1.25GB RAM), OS 10.4.8
FCP 5.1.2

AJA IO LA, (v2.1)
Lacie PCMCIA card,
Maxtor 1TB FW 800 (Raid 0),

On Long digitize (90 min Beta - Beta to DV codec) the video froze (26 ish frames) at 34 min, 60 min etc.
60 min digitize from (DV) firewire source ...no problems.

I note that there is a 3.0 driver for Universal Binary. I assume that this may be the answer to my problem.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: frozen frame 90 min digitize
on Nov 10, 2006 at 4:45:53 am

If you shuttle to those points on the tape, are there tc breaks?

You should break up the capture into shorter pieces. It will solve your problems if the tape turns out alright.

You are on a powerbook, Universal Binary isn't required for you.

Updating the drivers/firmware isn't a bad thing, but I'm not sure it will help you in this case.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Nov 10, 2006 at 11:44:09 am

Jeremy:

Thanks for the quick response.

(To add more detail to the problem, the actual picture freezes, in the digitized footage, the audio keeps going, this puts everything afterwards out of sync.)

There doesn't seem to be a break in the timecode at those points. I am able to go back into the tape, lift the segment where the picture froze, digitize it and put it into place. Also, I've done the digitize 2x and (I believe) it happened at different locations on the tape. (I will check this this morning)

Regarding digitizing shorter segments, I am doing 1 hr DV tapes without a problem. I am sure I've diged long segments from the AJA IO in the past. This first freeze happend at 34min, the second 24 min later, the third about 12min after that. I wouder if this is really a matter of file size?

BTW why would the universal binary driver not be necessary for the powerbook running FCPs (5.1.2)universal binary software?

Thank all for your insights.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 10, 2006 at 4:28:30 pm

[Jim Cunningham] "I wouder if this is really a matter of file size?"

Could be, or that your drives aren't keeping up. How are your prefrences set up? Do you have abort capture on dropped frmaes checked? Do you have the make new clip on tc break checked? If you log and capture and break the capture up into 15 minute segments, i bet you won't find these problems. It'll be less strain on the system too.

[Jim Cunningham] "BTW why would the universal binary driver not be necessary for the powerbook running FCPs (5.1.2)universal binary software?"

Like I said, updating the driver isn't a bad thing, but being on a powerbook, universal binary is not required. On an intel Mac, universal binary is required as the PPC drivers won't work on it reliably. You should also download the latest control panel with the bundled firmware if you haven't done that already as well. It's v 1.1.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Nov 10, 2006 at 10:59:28 pm

<I>Could be, or that your drives aren't keeping up. How are your prefrences set up? Do you have abort capture on dropped frmaes checked? Do you have the make new clip on tc break checked? If you log and capture and break the capture up into 15 minute segments, i bet you won't find these problems. It'll be less strain on the system too.

I had access to another Powerbook Laptop 1.67 running 5.0.4 same hard drive, same basic set up. No problems. It recorded several 90 min Betas without incident. So I am assuming the hard drive (a raid 0 FW800 was able to maintain the DV stream, and that the proble is with the IO.

Typically I set the preference to create new clip on drop frame, but in this case I now have it set to warn after digitize. I haven't seen any broken timecode, but just for this project this setting seems to be working.

You should also download the latest control panel with the bundled firmware if you haven't done that already as well. It's v 1.1.

I believe that the firmware is up to date, but worth checking. Although I have the control panel for my Kona 3, I didn't realize there was one for the IO LA. Could you point me in the right direction for the IO LA control panel? (In the meantime I'll see if I can find it on the AJA website)

Thanks so much for your input.

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Nov 10, 2006 at 11:05:36 pm

Jeremy:

I've got the control panel and firmware upgrade and will install tomorrow.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 11, 2006 at 2:15:17 am

[Jim Cunningham] "Typically I set the preference to create new clip on drop frame, but in this case I now have it set to warn after digitize"

This could be the problem, set it back to abort capture and see what happens. Update everything and don't capture in 90 min segments. Your problems will go away.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Nov 12, 2006 at 7:10:51 pm

1.5Ghz Laptop, (1.25GB RAM), OS 10.4.8
FCP 5.1.2

AJA IO LA, (v2.1

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 12, 2006 at 10:34:55 pm

Do you have reference going to the beta and your aja?

Do you have both ltc and vitc selected in your capture device preferences?

Do you get any errors on the deck when you are playing that tape?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Nov 14, 2006 at 1:18:59 pm

Jeremy:

Do you have reference going to the beta and your aja?
Yes

Do you have both ltc and vitc selected in your capture device preferences?

No. An interesting point, I had assumed that when I selected the AJA IO LA Beta to DV codec that the settings would include both LTC & VITC. I see now that they may not, and have created a new Easy set up for Beta. However, since 3 betacam decks did not see VITC on their TC reader I am assuming that none (or at best intermittent TC) was there.

Do you get any errors on the deck when you are playing that tape?
No

I ultimately, diged with "warn me after if TC was bad" (which it did on certain segments of the tape) edited the segments and output to DVD without incident.

I will keep looking into this matter and will get back to you with any pertinent info

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]