FORUMS: list search recent posts

no proc amp controls during fcp capture?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Flood
no proc amp controls during fcp capture?
on Nov 2, 2006 at 6:26:39 pm

Hey all

Trying to capture some HDVfootage off of an M10U. When i open up the scopes on FCP i see low chroma and crushed blacks, yet when i adjust the proc amp controls in the IO control panel, they do not move, like they are "locked up"

how do i get the IO proc amp to raise my black levels and raise my chroma?

i am using the IOLA to capture HDV source at DVCPRO50 16x9

thanx in advance

Return to posts index

Lee Berger
Re: no proc amp controls during fcp capture?
on Nov 2, 2006 at 10:25:16 pm

You can't run the AJA control panel while FCP is open. You might try adding the Proc Amp filter after you capture to boost the Setup level.

Return to posts index

Michael McIntyre
on Nov 3, 2006 at 11:02:43 am

As Lee mentioned, you can't run Io Control Panel & Final Cut at the same time. Running scopes and an external monitor, I can set up a tape (if I needed to) before launching Final Cut which has no override on the Control Panel functions in the Io.

Even if you don't have a monitor, you can see what I mean. Feed some video to the Io, tweak some Control Panel settings (turn saturation all the way down for example or screw the hue), then launch FCP and go into capture mode. The settings should reflect your changes in Control Panel. I'm running Control Panel Ver.1.1 with an IoLA and you can save something like 10 presets for different decks, setinngs, 'looks', whatever.

It might be a pain (without scopes or a monitor) - I don't know. You could play a tape, finesse your levels, jump into FCP, look at it on the scopes, quit and tweak some more. So, it'd be -> Io Control Panel, Launch FCP, Scopes, Quit and round-and-round. Once you're happy, save that preset and that's it!

Sounds tedious but it beats having to correct later. As you're well-aware, having that full contrast range going in just gives you that much more latitude for color-correction later on.

Granted, it would be nice to be able to adjust in capture mode but it makes you appreciate the fact that it is a powerful standalone converter. We 'passed through' some S-video from DVD to component Beta (with corrected levels) that looks great. A client wants to down-dump some HDV from his Z1U to Beta that way as well.

Hope this helps...... Michael

Return to posts index

Bob Flood
on Nov 3, 2006 at 4:30:58 pm

Thanx Michael!

I did not realize that even though FCP locked out the IOLa CP, the settings still count. (you just have to find a way of looking at the signal outside of FCP, which we have)

however, in an effort to resolve the situation and move on, i changed the component in settings from beta to SMPTE and the signal got MUCH better. I guess the M10U puts out a SMPTE YRB signal?

hey but thats why there are standards right?

thanx again

bee eph

Return to posts index

Michael McIntyre
on Nov 4, 2006 at 10:57:29 am

Anytime, Bob!

I just found this out myself this week and have been playing with it some. Guess I might need another hobby.

Anyway, since all the IoLA outputs are always 'active', it can feed video to whatever you want regardless of whether you're in Final Cut or not. At the moment, my IoLA's feeding component to Final Cut. The composite feeds a Sony monitor looped looped through to a Tektronix 1740 (vectorscope / waveform).

As I mentioned, we've had some stuff on DVD. The client's pretty clueless, so we're just dumping most of it to Beta through the IoLA without even bothering with Final Cut.

I'm anxious to check out how our Z1 footage will look. We'll set up to their camera and just save the preset in Control Panel and transfer that way too. Perfect world, we'd have a TON of storage and not mess with tape at all but there's alot of footage.

Just glad I could help out.......

Michael McIntyre

Fever CIty Studio, LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]