FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording sports with 3 languages

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Hill
Recording sports with 3 languages
on Oct 2, 2006 at 8:45:07 pm

I'm looking to record live shows straight to a Final Cut laptop. The problem is, we're starting to do the shows in three languages. It's sports, meaning we have 6 talent (1 play by play and 1 color for each language), but it boils down to 3 stereo feeds and 1 video feed.
Typically we air the English version live and record the Spanish/Portugese versions on DigiBeta to be aired separately on a different date. Now we want to record all three versions straight to a file, as the Spanish/Portugese delivery will all be file based soon.
I have an AJA io, but would be willing to invest in other equipment if I can't get it to work for my needs.
Here's the question: How do I do it? Can I use the AJA Io to record English stereo on channels 1/2 and mono the other two languages, Spanish to channel 3 and Portugese to channel 4? Or, can I embed English through the SDI on channels 1/2 and leave the 4 analog inputs for Spanish/Portugese in stereo? I don't think I can set up the capture to capture SDI embedded audio and 4 channels of analog.

Another problem: Can I use a firewire 800 drive to record the games, while the AJA uses the firewire 400?

I'm new to the AJA thing, so I might not sound intelligent asking the questions, but I'd appreciate any help and suggestions.

Thanks
Scott

Return to posts index

santellavision
Re: Recording sports with 3 languages
on Oct 9, 2006 at 3:26:45 am

Don't record live to FCP. You're asking for trouble!!!

Record to tape for safety. Once in a while FCP will stop while digitizing due to an error. Especailly if you'r doing long digitizes. You'll lose your digitized material. Go to some tape format of choice and record the seperate audio tracks discretely. Even when I record any live-to-tape program, I always run a back-up tape for safety. Bad tape, Big dropout, Head clog... anything can happen. You could lose it all? And especially live content which can't be easily redone.

Ernie Santella
Santella Film/Video Productions
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
Re: Recording sports with 3 languages
on Oct 11, 2006 at 11:40:30 pm

[santellavision] "Don't record live to FCP. You're asking for trouble!!!"

Use picture ready

Peter

Free Motion Templates

peterwiggins.com