FORUMS: list search recent posts

adding firewire devices corrupts io la

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Flood
adding firewire devices corrupts io la
on Sep 27, 2006 at 2:41:59 pm

Hey kids

we have an IO LA on an intel macpro quad 2.6, and everytime i change the firewire devices around, like hook up our m10u for capture, or add a firewire drive, i lose the IO. Final cut gives me a beachball when i go to play anything (which stops when I unplug the IO from the firewire port)

what i have had to do is shut the machine down, change arounf my firewire devices and restart

I have each device using its own port as follows:

Dual drive raid venus ds3r using fire 800 to the rear of the machine

sony m10u OR acom data 250 gb using firewire 400 to the rear of the machine

IO LA uisng fire wire 400 on front of the machine

is this right? is it always gonna be like this? if so, this bites (i thought firewire was "hot swap" no?)

please help here

thanx in advance

bee eph

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: adding firewire devices corrupts io la
on Sep 27, 2006 at 5:16:50 pm

You can hot swap, but quit FCP first (you shouldn't have to shut down the machine). you wouldn't pull a firewire drive out without ejecting would you? The io really wants it's own firewire bus anyway, it's best for you to get a FW bus card if you have the card slots space in your computer and put the io on it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 27, 2006 at 8:12:53 pm

the only firewire 400 device on your system should be the AJA I/O LA - and NOTHING ELSE. If you demand to have something else that is Firewire 400, you MUST use a FW card in your MAC. If there is no room in your MAC, sorry - . The same rules apply to the AVID Adrenaline and AVID Mojo products as well.

I have no idea of where you will find a PCI Express Firewire 400 card that is compatible with the MAC Pro.

If you say "how do other people do this" - they use FW800 via the FW800 buss, or use SATA, or Fibre Channel, or SCSI. No one is using FW400 drives or FW400 devices AND an AJA I/O box on the same native buss. Like I said before, neither is anyone using a modern AVID product either.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Flood
on Sep 28, 2006 at 3:16:44 am

Thanx

i started looking for a firewirecard before i even started my reply

bee eph

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]