FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost Device Control in FCP without changing set-up.

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andra
Lost Device Control in FCP without changing set-up.
on Sep 26, 2006 at 4:29:47 pm

Dear supportteam,

We

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Lost Device Control in FCP without changing set-up.
on Sep 26, 2006 at 5:37:38 pm

have you tried POWERING DOWN the AJA I/O. The last 3 times I lost deck control
from the AJA I/O and could not get it back, powering it down (turning it off) was the only way I could get deck control back.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Andra
on Sep 27, 2006 at 8:55:57 am

Yes I did. That's what meant to say with: "...and the Io have been shut down and restarted several times".

I believe at some point I even pulled out the powercord, just to make sure it was really off. ;P

Thanks,
Andra

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Sep 27, 2006 at 5:12:30 pm

You have checked the RS-422 cable to the deck from the io and you have flipped the deck control ON THE DECK from local to remote...right? Choose your easy setup again as that can reset the io as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Andra
on Sep 28, 2006 at 1:22:30 pm

Yes I have done all of that aswell. The RS422 connection is part of a small patch-pannel which could prehaps be faulty on the Io side. It's probably okay on the DigiBeta side, because deck-control worked fine when hooked it up to the Media 100i set. I should ask my colleague, who built the patch-pannel, to check it out.

I actually think the problem is software side, because at some point I did have deck-control but no image, and then it changed back again.
Thanks again!

Yours,
Andra

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 28, 2006 at 10:21:37 pm

you MUST get the RS422 patch panel out of the loop for this testing. I just had a similar problem - where I built the RS422 panel, and everything worked with one FCP system, but on the second system I could not get a Beta 1800 to be controlled (but the first FCP system on the same patch panel controlled the Beta 1800 just fine). PLEASE hookup the VTR directly to your AJA product, and test it WITHOUT the RS422 patch panel.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Andra
on Sep 29, 2006 at 11:20:50 am

I've just done so. I hooked the Io up to both the BetaSP and the DigiBeta deck, but I kept getting the following message:
"Unable to initialize video deck. You may still log offline clips or use Capture Now."

I've tried Capture Now, and that works just fine. But of course it isn't how I'd like to work..
I've disconnected all FW harddrives that are usually connected, but that didn't make a difference, either.
I've also just hooked up a DVCAM camera through FireWire instead of the AJA Io, and used it with Final Cut and it worked without a hitch.
Does that rule out Final Cut, or should I start considering a full uninstall and re-install of Final Cut Pro (whining: "I don't wannaaaa...").
Is there any way to check the functionality of the AJA Io without the use of Final Cut Pro? The "ControlPanel" gives some information, but nothing on deck-control.

Yours,
Andra

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 29, 2006 at 12:58:06 pm

It's amazing how, when you keep asking questions, you get more info. First off, you CANNOT HOOK UP ANY OTHER FireWire devices to your MAC when you use the AJA I/O box !!!! Lets' start with that problem. (I know that you said you just disconnected the FW drives that are
ususally connected - but you CANT use FW400 drives on your system without an additional FW400 PCI card).

With that said (and NO OTHER FW400 devices on your system), one more time - shut down your system (including the I/O) restart your system (including the I/O), and with the Beta VTR connected DIRECTLY to the I/O, try again. If this fails, go to http://www.aja.com, the Support page, find the UNINSTALL DRIVERS for the I/O, and uninstall them, and reinstall them. IF this still fails, and you can't get deck control, trash your FCP preferences (tell us if you don't know how to do this, and we will tell you), and restart FCP and try it again. If it STILL fails, it's time to call AJA support on the telephone.

With all of this said, I am ASSUMING that you have a RS422 cable that actually works, and is not some home made piece of junk (is it an original Sony RS422 9 pin cable). If it's a tan or white 9 pin cable you got at a computer store, there is always the possibility that it is an older modem cable that is not wired like a straight thru Sony 9 pin cable. I'm not saying that is what you have - I am just making a guess.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Andra
on Sep 29, 2006 at 3:37:17 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions, but unfortunately it hasn't helped. I'll try and get hold of someone at AJA, then. I've filled out their "contact support"-form on their website last tuesday, but haven't had any response yet. How long should this usualy take, do you think?

About the FW-drives: they were connected on the FW800 port, not on either of the 2 FW400 ports. Are all those ports connected to one bus?
We don't use the FW-drives to capture in Final Cut, only in Media 100i. For Final Cut we've been using a SCSI Raid that has enough through-put to handle Uncompressed 10bit.
Thanks again!

Yours,
Andra

Return to posts index

Boyce Johnson
on Sep 29, 2006 at 6:06:14 pm

400 and 800 are on the same bus. If you're going to use firewire drives, you should use a card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]