FORUMS: list search recent posts

LHe Plus and Closed Captions

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Alexander
LHe Plus and Closed Captions
on Feb 8, 2016 at 5:33:58 pm

Good day. I am attempting to upgrade my installation of a LHe Plus card. I'm moving to a slightly newer mac pro tower. In a past installation, we were able to use the card under OS X 10.7.5, with the 10.4.9 drivers. This necessitated using the AJA provided VTR Exchange. And we had to use an older version of Premiere Pro.

Moving forward, I have installed in a newer machine under OS X 10.9.5. (required because of SAN master constraints.) I downloaded and installed the AJA 10.3.8 software package which included "Control Room" as a replacement to VTR Exchange. Under the 10.3.8 package I am not able to select the ability to capture or display closed captions. The check box is greyed out with a "unsupported hardware" warning.

I uninstalled 10.3.8 and installed the 10.3.0 package. The closed caption check boxes are available. My experience is encapsulated below;

In Premiere Pro CC 2015 (and 2014)
I can now capture to ProRes in Premiere with captions.
The audio spikes and distorts every few seconds in Premiere.
At about the same frequency but not really linked, I see green lines in the video.

Using the Control Room utility,
I have clean video and clean audio captured to ProRes
Closed Captions do not show up in Control Room
Captured video has two sidecar files, .scc and .mcc
Both files are reported as unsupported in Premiere.
Both files are essentially empty when view in a text viewer.

I have loaded VTR exchange into this system. All appears to work okay with this software. An MOV file is created - no sidecar files - which does contain closed captions.

Ideally, I would like for the editors to be able to capture directly into Premiere. That would be the cleanest workflow. Has anyone experienced similar problems? And more importantly, has anyone found a way to make it work with no a/v problems in CC 2015?
Alternatively, what might I be missing inside Control Room to create acceptable SCC or MCC files?

Thanks
Don Alexander

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: LHe Plus and Closed Captions
on Feb 8, 2016 at 8:08:37 pm

[Don Alexander] "I uninstalled 10.3.8 and installed the 10.3.0 package. The closed caption check boxes are available. My experience is encapsulated below;
"

The LHe often required a manual update to the firmware on the board.

Have you checked to see that it has the correct firmware for that card & OS combo?

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Don Alexander
Re: LHe Plus and Closed Captions
on Feb 8, 2016 at 9:53:19 pm

Thanks, Gary.
I did indeed update the firmware. I used the control panel. The firmware was referenced by date, and I changed from a 5/14/13 dated file to the recommended 4/24/15 dated file.

I assume the AJA control panel process was correct.(?) It was a single button click and reboot.

Thanks,
Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]