FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA, Black Magic or Matrox

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Furie
AJA, Black Magic or Matrox
on Mar 10, 2015 at 12:19:18 am

I am trying to set up an Avid system. I am using Media Composer 7 and the new mac trash can. I need the audio to go out of the Avid and in to my speakers and video to my external TV monitor. I have been using the Black Magic Design and it has been so finicky. I was wondering what people were using today for a LOW BUDGET film/movie and what has been working most flawlessly

Also, what is the difference between having an external box vs a card?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AJA, Black Magic or Matrox
on Mar 20, 2015 at 1:40:19 am

External box vs card: You cannot have a card in the new MacPro trash can. Thunderbolt options are your only options...rather, your BETTER options. Otherwise you'll have to get the card, and a Thunderbolt/PCI bridge, and that'll double your cost.

Personally, I have the AJA IoXT and run it on Avid 6.5...and now 8.3. It was great under 7 as well. But I'd recommend the future proof Io4K. You can also use the AJA T-Tap...but know that audio is ALWAYS sent to the IO box, so you'll need to monitor off the IO box. The IoXT and Io4k have audio outs you can send to your mixer, the T-TAP does not. You'll need to send audio from the external monitor if you use that.

A Friend has the BMD (decklink) UltraStudio 4K on his Avid, and says it's fine. The UltraStudio Mini Monitor is just like the T-Tap...thunderbolt in to HDMI and SDI out...but again, you'll need to monitor audio off the HDTV. I have that, and things are OK...but editing is slightly sluggish in Avid, where when I use the IoXT, they are not.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]