FORUMS: list search recent posts

Possible/preferable to capture SD source as HD???

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean P. Phillips
Possible/preferable to capture SD source as HD???
on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:54:13 pm

Hi folks,

Does anybody have experience in capturing SD as HD using an AJA card? First, is this even possible? If so, would this be a preferable method to upres the SD video as opposed to using software (Compressor, Instant HD, etc.)?

Here's a brief description of my project: I have several old news stories on DVCPro25 tapes that I need to clean up (fix audio levels, recut some video, grade, denoise, etc... ). My thinking is that I should upres it to ProRes 422 before doing the cleanup work.

I'm lucky enough to have the original tapes to capture from "scratch" so I thought I might try to attempt the upres at that stage. If it is possible to simply roll an SD source and record the stream to an HD file, I'm hypothesizing that the result might be softer video, but it would likely help me avoid magnifying any minor artifacts and glitches as I would expect a software upres method to produce.

Should the AJA card tend to be fussy about capturing an SD signal to HD, could I instead capture the DVCPro25 video to DVCPro50?

If anyone has any experience in this, I would appreciate your thoughts. I don't see the point in reinventing the wheel for a well traveled road :)

Also, as much as I would like to just experiment with this to see what works, I should add the caveat that I will have to perform the capture at a former colleague's house (he has a DVCPro50 deck and AJA card on his system). That, plus the fact that my client is doing this on the cheap, means that I really want to have a game plan (or at least a scaled down list of options to try) so as not to overburden my old workmate.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]