FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac Pro and AJA

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pablo piriz
New Mac Pro and AJA
on Jun 20, 2013 at 5:22:07 pm

After the recent unveiling of the upcoming mac pro I come to realize that all AJA systems but the IO Xt will be rendered obsolete. Does anyone have any info on what action is AJA taking toward having a higher end AJA for the upcoming Mac Pro?
It seems like all expansion will have to be thunderbolt based, hence external, anyone has thought about that?

pablo piriz
editor.postproducer
Union Editorial
http://www.unioneditorial.com
http://www.pablopiriz.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: New Mac Pro and AJA
on Jun 21, 2013 at 10:44:14 pm

The IoXT is basically a Kona 3...so it is the high end option. And there is the AJA T-Tap, it's Thunderbolt based too.

I'm sure more options will come along, now that Apple has finally shown what it is going to do. But as I said, the IoXT is the high end Thunderbolt option. What they lack is the Kona LHi version of the IO.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Jun 25, 2013 at 2:43:08 am

I am not sure, but I THINK that you could put a Kona 3 or 3G in an expansion chassis. They do not use that much of the PCI bus.

I might be wrong on that. But I think Sonnet shows just such an arraignment with their Thunderbolt expansions.

And on a somewhat related note, I am finding the new AJA Kona3G drivers are actually making my old Kona3 perform much better than it did with the previous drivers.

So I think that war horse will fight on!!

Thank you AJA for such a great product.

Jef

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 25, 2013 at 2:50:54 am

[pablo piriz] ". Does anyone have any info on what action is AJA taking toward having a higher end AJA for the upcoming Mac Pro?"

What Shane said. The IoXT is essentially a Kona 3 or 3G in a thunderbolt box. We're using two of them at our shop that replaced Kona 3 cards. So they're already at "high end."

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

pablo piriz
on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:20:33 pm

I know and understand the IoXT is a pro solution, but being that apple has announced the support for 4K that would mean that AJA and BlackMagic need to provide solutions to take advantage of that.

IMHO getting a PCI card into a thunderbolt controlled case won't take full advantage of the thunderbolt technology, and existing IoXTs are thunderbolt 1 as far as I know, any plans on updating to thunderbolt 2?

It looks like the whole Video Card industry has some developing to do to maximize the new mac pro potential.

pablo piriz
editor.postproducer

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 26, 2013 at 12:14:38 am

Repent - the whole (computer) world is coming to an end. Everything you own - every firewire drive, every computer (with PCIe or Thunderbolt 1), every Thunderbolt drive, every iMac, now has to go into the garbage. Not just the video card industry, but the entire disk drive industry, the entire monitor industry, everyone, has to throw everything in the garbage, just because the new Mac Pro is "different". So Pablo - get ready to spend your entire savings on all new equipment in January 2014 !!!!!!

Back to real life, it will take 1 - 2 years for the new Mac Pro with Thunderbolt 2 technology to "catch on".
The I/O XT, and countless products with PCIe cards will work fine and dandy with Thunderbolt expansion chassis. And guess what - your Mac Pro's and iMacs will still work just fine with all of your Adobe Products, just like they are now. And in 2017 Pablo, Thunderbolt 3 will come out, and you will start all over again.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

pablo piriz
on Jun 26, 2013 at 12:48:34 am

funny bob, not informative, but funny indeed. I always enjoy your responses should have known it was coming.
Not a good month to invest in a Kona 3 with breakout box I guess, or a mac pro....

pablo piriz
editor.postproducer

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 26, 2013 at 9:03:29 pm

You want informative - this is the new press release from Magma today -

Even the most powerful superheroes need a sidekick!
The absence of PCIe slots in the next-generation Apple Mac Pro introduces a challenge to users who rely on PCIe cards and other specialized hardware in their workflows. Now, more than ever, Magma's Thunderboltâ„¢ PCIe Expansion chassis are a key accessory for users to take full advantage of the GPU muscle in the new Mac Pro while also protecting investments in specialized PCIe cards.

Magma's ExpressBox 1T and ExpressBox 3T enable serious professionals to attach PCIe cards to ANY Thunderbolt-equipped computer, supporting the next generation of "outside the box" high-speed connectivity. Current ExpressBox 1T and 3T product designs will make upgrading to Thunderbolt 2 a breeze. Magma is excited to expand our Thunderbolt product line beyond basic PCIe expansion to sophisticated and cutting-edge Thunderbolt solutions. Stay tuned!
The Magma team has worked diligently with partners to ensure Thunderbolt compatibility with our PCIe expansion products. As a result, Magma's Thunderbolt PCIe Expansion product family will provide cost-effective options for a smooth transition from Apple's Mac Pro Tower to the newly redesigned Mac Pro.

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

phil payne
on Jul 22, 2013 at 1:11:04 pm

Hi Bob,

Sorry if you've already answered this, but just to clarify ....

I currently have a Kona LHi (which I think is just PCI, not even PCIe) - will I need to upgrade to at least a Kona 3 to be able to use it with the new Mac Pro, or is there a way around this? Can I connect via the Magna Thunderbolt Expansion unit?

This is quite technical for me, but I'm slowly getting my head around it :)

Thanks

Return to posts index

phil payne
on Jul 24, 2013 at 7:54:48 am

Hi,

Does anyone have any thought on my question, above?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]