FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac Pro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Whittington
New Mac Pro
on Jun 14, 2013 at 5:40:38 pm

Hi there,

I work as a video editor and have always found the creative side of things much easier to grasp than the tech side! I'm due for a computer upgrade at the office. I've got a Mac Pro from a few years ago...pretty good machine (2.66 GHz, 8 cores, 10GB). Just slowing down and getting out of date.

Our IT guy says he's a bit concerned about transitioning to the new Mac Pro. His main concern is compatibility with my AJA Kona LHe card.

Is there any reason to be concerned here? Any other issues to think about with the new Mac Pro? Seems like a pretty sweet machine!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
Re: New Mac Pro
on Jun 14, 2013 at 7:40:07 pm

The LHe card (unless what you're really using is a LHe Plus) was EOL'ed some time ago and so, unfortunately, the point is moot since newer NLE versions won't have available drivers for it. :(

While the drivers for the current Kona lineup are Thunderbolt-chassis aware, no one knows when that could change. When you factor in the purchase of a quality Thunderbolt PCIe expansion chassis, the Io XT doesn't look like a terribly expensive upgrade anyway and you get a lot of bang for your buck.

I do wish I had better news about the LHe, it was a shame when support was discontinued.

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

pablo piriz
Re: New Mac Pro
on Jun 20, 2013 at 5:30:41 pm

it looks to me like the new but not yet available MacPro will render all AJA cards obsolete. Or at least they need to be placed in a chasis with a thunderbolt conversion....stable? We will see...
As Petros pointed out, the IoXT seems to be the way to go when migrating to the MacPro.
At least that is what I would do, all of a sudden I have visions of audio engineers with 15 peripherals attached to the cpu...
The upside is that we will be able to accomplish a lot with NAS drives at the thunderbolt speed.

pablo piriz
editor.postproducer
Union Editorial
http://www.unioneditorial.com
http://www.pablopiriz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]