FORUMS: list search recent posts

WHAT IS A HARDWARE CONVERSION? 23.98 TIMELINE to 29.97

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Pinho
WHAT IS A HARDWARE CONVERSION? 23.98 TIMELINE to 29.97
on Feb 19, 2013 at 4:33:19 pm

Hey All,

This is my first post -- so take it easy on me. Also, feel free to let me know if I am posting under the wrong forum.

Basically, after some research my main question is what exactly is a hardware frame conversion? I have seen the term thrown around a bunch but it usually ends in people claiming "That is too expensive, just do it in compressor"

Can someone enlighten me to the benefits of FPS conversion through hardware rather than compressor?

Finally, I have 3G Kona Cards and HD Decks available to me and I am trying to convert a FCP 23.98 timeline to 29.97 - can someone point me in the direction of best practices for this conversion via hardware?

I imagine I will output a Pro Res Sequence @ 23.98 and hope to take it to 29.97 via Kona Card, I have not a clue how to start that process.

Thanks in Advance

Best,

Mike

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: WHAT IS A HARDWARE CONVERSION? 23.98 TIMELINE to 29.97
on Feb 19, 2013 at 6:59:18 pm

The benefits to hardware conversion are usually just time and ease of setup. Hardware conversion is usually a real-time process and easy to configure, whereas Compressor will take much longer to do the same job and can be a bit trickier to get desired results.

You can use the KONA to crossconvert with proper pulldown if you like, but this requires another station ready to capture your hardware converted output. Compressor can convert a file to a file with no output necessary, and can be easily configured to add proper pulldown for this conversion. Search these forums, you'll likely find my explanation on how to do this.

Return to posts index

Michael Pinho
Re: WHAT IS A HARDWARE CONVERSION? 23.98 TIMELINE to 29.97
on Feb 19, 2013 at 7:37:08 pm

Thank you Mark, I see there are multiple instructional threads for the compressor method - for now, I will go that route.

I would like to investigate the hardware conversion, as I believe my organization is equipped with the necessary equipment we just need to have it correctly set-up.

Best,

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]