FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro better but still not quite there

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Brown
Premiere Pro better but still not quite there
on Dec 12, 2012 at 11:50:46 pm

I installed the new Aja drivers for Mac and PPro 6 and it's really feeling pretty good and getting to the point where FCP left off IMO. The only issue that I'm have though has to do with the audio.

From what I understand you need to set OSX into line out - NOT AJA - and then set PPro to default out. I tried various settings and this seemed to be the only way I could get audio reliably out of PPro. If set some other way most of the time the audio was muted.

So this works for PPro but I use a Presonus interface which gives me 5.1 monitoring with all sorts of ins and outs but I can't use it now, at least not while using PPro which does output 5.1 and so that sux that I can't use the Presonus with PPro. I'm just hoping this isn't the way it stays because none of the other programs I use seem to have this issue.

Also this creates a significant problem in that you can't hear system audio without some sort of hardware modification like adding a mixer etc. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Premiere Pro better but still not quite there
on Dec 13, 2012 at 1:07:01 am

[Robert Brown] "From what I understand you need to set OSX into line out - NOT AJA - and then set PPro to default out. I tried various settings and this seemed to be the only way I could get audio reliably out of PPro. If set some other way most of the time the audio was muted. "

OS X System Preference Audio Out to anything BUT AJA.

In Premiere Pro. Audio Hardware > AJA

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Dec 13, 2012 at 1:44:12 am

Well it had been a while but I found this from aja:

It's critical that both the System Preferences audio settings and the Premiere Audio Hardware preference not be set to "AJA". If either is set to AJA hardware, drop outs and distorted audio will result. Also important: if the setting in either case is incorrect and then corrected, the system must be rebooted before audio will be restored to correct operation. The usual settings for the Mac OS audio should be "Line Out" or "Internal Speaker," etc. Anything other than "AJA". For Premiere, the usual setting should be "System Default" etc. and not "AJA."

I'll try it again but it's been very spotty with everything I've tried and there was a whole thread about this a few months ago. And on my system at least it seems to be pretty much the same as it was. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Dec 13, 2012 at 2:19:59 am

Also, if this now works it could be ok for a solution with a separate audio interface like I have on my own system but what do you do to get system audio if like I mentioned the Aja is your only audio output and you can't select Aja for system output? And that's exactly how they do it at both places I work. I still think this needs to be addressed somehow.

Robert Brown

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 13, 2012 at 5:35:01 pm

Robert writes -
"Also this creates a significant problem in that you can't hear system audio without some sort of hardware modification like adding a mixer etc"

REPLY -
and exactly what's wrong with having to add a mixer ? There are countless mixers for under $200 to accomplish this. If you have been doing this for a while (which I assume you have) - you or your facility should have LOTS of mixers already there. And since you are a Presonus fan, Presonus makes the BEST small mixers on the market.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Dec 13, 2012 at 8:50:27 pm

Robert, I use a speaker preamp with multiple inputs. It works rather well when I need to switch from AJA audio to system audio.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:21:45 pm

Uh well sure you can oversimplify it if you want. I was able to get it to work for my system because I could hardwire the analog outs of the Kona box into my Presonus and it's able to mix incoming signals with what's coming out of the computer all at the same time. This works FOR STEREO. But the main reason I got this Presonus box was because it's an excellent 5.1 monitoring solution. One firewire cable and it handles all D/A with TRS jacks that go straight powered monitors. It also has a monitor panel with ONE volume knob for all 6 channels and I can mute any channel I want. It's really a great solution for 5.1 monitoring.

But now with Premiere while using AJA I can't use it anymore. I would now have to go back in time to what I was looking at before buying the Presonus which is multiple D/As and finding some sort way to change the level of all of the signals at the same time. See what I mean? Sure I can "make it work" but my reason for posting this was because IMO this just isn't finished yet. You need to be able to use whatever audio device you want while using Kona for video like I can already do with 5 other programs I use.

Also both of the facilities I work at have 5.1 rooms so adding in some cheap mixer or expensive one to the L&Rs is crappy because now you have an additional gain adjustment for the 2 L&R speakers that's not locked to the other channels.

Robert Brown

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]