FORUMS: list search recent posts

want to buy aja kona 3 - will it improve anything?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barbura Barbara
want to buy aja kona 3 - will it improve anything?
on Dec 4, 2012 at 11:39:43 am

I have an offer to buy an aja kona 3 and I don't know if it will work for what I do
Someone told me here that it's only for broadcasting - in out signals, etc, and it's doesn't add performance in rendering, working with video,bmps, multiple chanels, etc
I thought it's something like matrox rt, that has a dedicated chip for procesing video information, and that my editing will work faster
so does it worths investing 200 $ to buy it?

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: want to buy aja kona 3 - will it improve anything?
on Dec 4, 2012 at 4:23:20 pm

The Kona 3 is a very good video I/O card. However its purpose is to provide video connectivity using various methods, SDI, Component etc and audio connectivity
both analogue and digital for full video and audio capture and monitoring. It also gives realtime up and down scaling for SD to HD or vice versa.
It does not accelerate renders or, like the Matrox, provide hardware acceleration to video processing for H264 for example.
So unless you are looking to hook up decks and broadcast monitors its probably not going to help you.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Barbura Barbara
on Dec 5, 2012 at 6:24:53 am

ty
maybe I will try to put a video board with cuda cores, however I only have agp slot, not pci-e
I think there is an adaptor from pci to pci-e or some pci cards 9600

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Dec 5, 2012 at 5:26:12 pm

OK so thats a GPU rather than an I/O, you don't say which application you are trying to accelerate but CUDA is certainly going to help with things like Resolve for example. Not sure about fitting in AGP slots or adapters though so sorry cant advise you there.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]