FORUMS: list search recent posts

Calibrating an AJA KonaHi connected HDTV

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Keller
Calibrating an AJA KonaHi connected HDTV
on Nov 18, 2012 at 3:14:56 am

I just started a new position in tele-production and am working on a mac pro that is connected to an HDTV through a KonaHi card. I cannot figure out how to calibrate the television as I'm new to this whole broadcast deal and Kona cards in general, so forgive me :P

I read somewhere that I need to use the color bars in FCP7 to calibrate it by eye, but there must be a better way since it doesn't show up in the Display settings in System Preference. Am I able to use a Spyder or some other sort of calibration software to recognize the television?

Thanks again as I'm new to this whole thing.

Jake

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Calibrating an AJA KonaHi connected HDTV
on Nov 18, 2012 at 4:18:57 am

[Jake Keller] "I read somewhere that I need to use the color bars in FCP7 to calibrate it by eye, but there must be a better way since it doesn't show up in the Display settings in System Preference"

The calibration is listed in the FCP7 manual.

Why would you assume that a TV connected to a video card would show up in the display settings?
Video is not a bi-directional communication and other than the HDCP security in the HDMI port,that keeps copyrighted content from being recorded there is no communication between the computer and a monitor over a video connection.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Jake Keller
Re: Calibrating an AJA KonaHi connected HDTV
on Dec 10, 2012 at 4:15:06 pm

I was only presuming this due to the fact that when any display is plugged into any native video card port of a computer, it will show up in the display settings.

Example: I can plug in any TV/computer display into a DVI/mini Display on a Mac or use an adapter and it will show up in my display settings just fine. That's common sense in my book.

Am I correct then in understanding that since the AJA is a third party card it does not directly communicate with the computer's native video signal?

Ideally I am wanting to calibrate the HDTV using a datacolor Spyder, but the software doesn't recognize the television due to the above situation. Of course it recognizes my display thats plugging into the mini Display Port, but I don't understand at all how to have it recognize the AJA card, which is outputting to Component on the television. Perhaps it's not meant to at all.

I know that calibration by eye is subjective, but I'm trying to learn how to achieve it by using software and a proper calibrator.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]