FORUMS: list search recent posts

No video on my monitor. What am I doing wrong?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joy E Reed
No video on my monitor. What am I doing wrong?
on Sep 21, 2012 at 9:53:21 pm

Hey, CC gurus! I have a bit of an SOS that I'm hoping you can help me with.

I'm running FCP 7.03, OS 10.6.8, 22GB Ram.

Sequence settings: ProRes 422 (HQ), 1920x1080, 24p.
Video Playback set to AJA Kona LHE+ 1080p23.98. KONA control panel set to 1080p23.98.

View>External Video> All Frames is checked, and I've refreshed my devices, as well as done a complete shutdown and reboot. I've trashed FCP preferences.

SDI in 1 doesn't see the video, but the control panel knows that it's communicating with FCP.

WHY do I not see any video on my monitor? I can control the test pattern through the KONA control panel, so I know the signal is getting through. What incredibly obvious thing am I missing?

Thank you in advance for your wisdom. I look forward to learning from you all.

Peace & respect,

Joy E. Reed
http://www.ohmyproductions.net

Return to posts index

Joy E Reed
Re: No video on my monitor. What am I doing wrong?
on Sep 21, 2012 at 10:27:05 pm

I don't know if this will add anything, but I just discovered that if I click View>External Video> Show Current, I get a still frame to come up on the monitor.

Peace & respect,

Joy E. Reed

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Sep 22, 2012 at 1:07:08 am

Please consider contacting AJA Technical Support via phone or email, Monday through Friday, between 9am and 5pm PST if you have not already. Technical support is provided free of charge.

One of these items might possibly be your issue:
- Does your monitor actually support true progressive video? If not, selecting a PsF (progressive segmented frame) output from the KONA may be required.
- Apple ProRes 422 codecs are 10-bit; you appear to have an 8-bit video output selected. Consider using the 10-bit video output selection which is appropriate for Apple ProRes 422 codecs.

Again, please don't hesitate to contact AJA Technical Support for assistance.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Joy E Reed
on Sep 22, 2012 at 3:15:49 pm

Thanks for responding!

The monitor is a Panasonic BT-LH2550, which should support true progressive.

I've tried using every 8 bit, 10 bit, and RGB output setting available. No luck. I can get the monitor to display a still frame, but no moving picture.

I'll have to give technical support a call. I was just hoping to solve this before my client came to view footage with me today (Saturday). These things always seem to come up on the weekends!

Peace & respect,

Joy E. Reed

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 22, 2012 at 6:48:05 pm

[Joy E Reed] "The monitor is a Panasonic BT-LH2550, which should support true progressive. "

Sure it supports progressive, but I don't think it supports 23.98 progressive. I just looked at the specs online and I see no mention of 24p support. Generally if it's not mentioned, it's not supported. Switch that output to 30p from the Kona and you'll probably see picture.

VERY few professional monitors support true 23.98 playback which is why AJA does all the realtime conversions to the formats that all monitors do support. Our Flanders Scientific pro monitors DO support true 23.98 playback but we rarely use that mode. Even with 24p, we always edit in 29.97 since we're cutting for broadcast.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Joy E Reed
on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:49:03 pm

Thanks for chiming in, Walter. Unfortunately, your suggestion didn't work, either.

I spent some time on the phone yesterday with Steve from AJA tech support (who I found to be incredibly helpful and knowledgable--total rock star!), and we were able to narrow it down to a problem with Final Cut, but we weren't able to solve it. My next step will be to restore the entire system from a Time Machine backup from last week & everything was working smoothly and hope that the gremlin gets exorcised.

Peace & respect,

Joy E. Reed

Return to posts index

Joy E Reed
on Sep 28, 2012 at 4:38:30 pm

Time Machine saves my bacon yet again. Thanks y'all for chiming in with your support. Knowing you're here helps me sleep at night. ;)

Peace & respect,

Joy E. Reed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]