FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on bulk archiving in SD, with intention of using some for HD project

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Robel
Advice on bulk archiving in SD, with intention of using some for HD project
on Sep 13, 2012 at 12:58:59 pm

Hi- I was wondering if someone might have a little advice for a rather large project I am embarking on. I am producing a documentary called "The Color of Noise", about many bands on a record label. I have received many tapes from all over the world in various formats. Here is my question:

I have scoured this forum (I consider this to be the most knowledgeable resource in existence), and have a good understanding of how to digitize my SD VHS, Hi-8, Beta SP and 3/4" masters using my Kona 2 into final cut. My project is being shot and cut in DVCPRO 720P (23.98), and I found a great article that Shane Ross published a few years ago on up-converting using this hardware into my desired format. I have recently been offered many many hours of tapes from these bands and have decided to archive everything, not just what I will be using- but it all. I have plenty of drive space and a means to backup for the future, but my procedure is question.

Should I digitize everything in SD with a nice hi-rez codec like Apple Pro Res HD at the native 29.97, then when I need pieces from any of the footage I can utilize a teranex to do a high-quality up-convert, or Compressor? I have noticed that Blackmagic is planning on releasing this soon: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/teranex/

I am really trying to get the very best transfer first, then the very best up-convert when I need the actual footage for the film. Would this method be better than digitizing using the up-convert in a Kona 2 to 720P 60 all in one shot? Would the quality be better using Teranex or compressor vs. Kona 2? I had been doing that for the rough cut, but need to make a defining decision now that I recently got the opportunity to archive a huge collection.

Sorry for the long-winded question!
-Eric Robel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]