FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 and 480i monitoring with FCPX

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Garber
Kona 3 and 480i monitoring with FCPX
on May 15, 2012 at 11:59:44 pm

Hi all,

I have emailed AJA about this and was told that what I was experience was correct. But I don't think it is. Looking for other's experience here.

I was running 480 video captured from DVCam (what, tape still exists!?) through FCPX and monitoring through my Kona 3. On my monitor, the image appeared slightly blurry. And the bottom and top edges (4x3 letterbox) were smudged. It looked like field blending or something. I checked FCP to make sure it was outputting both fields and best quality. It was. I also exported the 480 video and played it through FCP7 and the video looked correct there.

So, for s&g, I created a 486 timeline and placed the footage in it. (BTW, FCPX does not fit 480 vid in 486 properly), so I corrected it by setting the Y coordinate down one field. Ok, that was easy. Lo and behold, video was correctly output via the Kona 3.

AJA said that the Kona outputs 486 natively and that it is doing it correctly. So it would seem that either FCPX or the Kona are blowing up the footage by 6 lines, thus causing the slight blur. That said, as we all know, FCP 7 and Avid will both play 480 footage out correctly. FCP 7/prior has done it for years.

Do you think it's an FCPX issue or an AJA issue? I have gotten no further response from anyone there when I wished to further investigate the issue.

Thanks!

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]