FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 and FCPX 10.0.4

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Garber
Kona 3 and FCPX 10.0.4
on Apr 12, 2012 at 10:20:46 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering how the new Kona drivers (10.3) are working for you along with FCPX?

My experience so far has been better than 10.0.3 but still sluggish. Specific issues are that video monitor playback is a couple frames ahead of the computer playback. Video playback is not fluid. Not quite sure whether to have playback set to performance or quality? Both settings tend to be a bit sluggish and unpredictable. Seems to slow down the program, too, but can't confirm this.

I recognize the bottleneck could be my tower, but I'm just hoping that it isn't. I'm running:

Mac Pro 3,1 (2008)
Kona 3
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (I have a Radeon 5770 in another system that I can bring over if that helps. That said, the system with the 5770 is also having stuttering problems with FCPX, but it is a 2007 Mac Pro with 8GB RAM).
eSATA drives
Footage is 1080i23.98 Prores. tried playing it out 23.98 and also 29.97. I prefer playback at 29.97 since display is interlaced.

Thanks,

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company

Return to posts index

Rocky Robinson
Re: Kona 3 and FCPX 10.0.4
on Apr 20, 2012 at 10:34:35 pm

I too have a MacPro 3,1 w/ an 8800 GT. With a Kona LHe +, and a CalDigit HDPRO array.
I've found FCP X too sluggish to use. 10.0.4 was better, but still, compared to FCP 7, it's night and day différence in how un-useable and sluggish it is. 7 is snappy. X is like using new software on a machine that wasn't designed for pro-video.
I cut from SD DV, and DVCPRO-HD.

I think the tower's just too old as far as X is concerned. I mean if FCP7 can play crystal clear, no-frame dropping HD video, why can't X?

Anybody have any thoughts on how to make this machine more useable with X? As much as people complain about X, it's got some things going for it. And price-wise it's a great deal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]