FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA KONA 10-bit (1920x1080) to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sen Vinu
AJA KONA 10-bit (1920x1080) to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
on Mar 24, 2012 at 9:38:11 am

Hi:

We shot a feature in RED and finished the master digitally as AJA-Kona 10-bit, 1920x1080.

The film is going to be shown a theater which has ability to play digital files (They ingest our copy in their system).

They are asking for Apple ProRes 422(HQ), the best quality I can give them.

I exported AppleProres 422-HQ using QT (version 7.6.6). The only setting I changed is gamma correction: none (as adviced by my DOP) but I feel like I'm not getting proper result with Apple Prores. I'm not really worried about the loss of quality due to compression. I feel like there is haze of white across the frame, loss of deep blacks and contrast. Is this normal?

I have tried these few options.
1) Turn on the setting, Enable Chroma for 4:4:4 sources. (Our project is only 4:2:2
2) Turn on the Gamma correction setting.
3) installed Aja Kona plug-in for QT.

Got these following results

1) Best of the lot but still has the same loss in contrast, loss of black and hazy feeling in the frame (As if brightness was increased)
2) Terrible
3) QT crashes everytime I tried to export.

Can someone pls suggest the best way to get best quality ApplePro 422(HQ) from 10-bit aja-Kona?

I have to deliver the copy by monday.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AJA KONA 10-bit (1920x1080) to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
on Mar 26, 2012 at 10:27:56 pm

I'd use Compressor.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Rahasiaja Kitasmua
on Jun 16, 2012 at 10:25:17 pm

[Sen Vinu] "... but I feel like I'm not getting proper result with Apple Prores. I'm not really worried about the loss of quality due to compression. I feel like there is haze of white across the frame, loss of deep blacks and contrast. Is this normal?"

can i ask what format you compare prores 422(hq) with?

some people say that red footage always has a haze, which is noticeable to them all the time, so it might not be prores (or your other tools/methods) fault, a.k.a. it's normal.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:27:25 pm

[Sen Vinu] "I exported AppleProres 422-HQ using QT (version 7.6.6). The only setting I changed is gamma correction: none (as adviced by my DOP) but I feel like I'm not getting proper result with Apple Prores."

But how did you do this? in what software? RED"s R3D format all but requires you to either handle the file natively in their tools or use a software application like PremierPro in CS6 to correctly read the RED metadata format that allows for that metadata to be used for color processing of your final output.

Since you seem new to the RED workflow how much research have you done?

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]