FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe Plus compatibility question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Hirshberg
Kona LHe Plus compatibility question
on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:03:30 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the world of third party I/O, but since my Avid Adrenaline is a thing of the past, I'm trying to figure out what's best and what works.

Three questions:

1. Overall, what are your experiences with AJA Kona and Avid Media Composer 6. Is it sluggish, fast, buggy, etc? (I'm thinking of returning our new Matrox MX02 LE as it is buggy and sluggish when scrubbing the timeline, of course the new MC 6 is buggy in it's own right).

2. I'm on a MacPro Harpertown Dual Quad Core 3.2 Xeon with NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB card. I did not see this card listed on the compatibility chart on B&H Photo. I also didn't see anything anywhere on AJA regarding this, so curious if it will work.

3. I already, have a AJA KL Box from a couple years back we used with FCP. The AJA website says the Kona LHe Plus can connect to the KL-Box-LH. Is this the same breakout box with a different name? Looks identical from what I can tell.

Thanks for your help and patience with us newbie 3rd party I/O folks!

Craig

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Kona LHe Plus compatibility question
on Mar 24, 2012 at 1:47:12 pm

[Craig Hirshberg] "Overall, what are your experiences with AJA Kona and Avid Media Composer 6"

I use a Kona 3 card and have been quite a bit of testing with Avid V6.01

I have found it to work very well, I am used to using Nitris DX Avid hardware so I know what it performs like with Avids own boxes.
The Kona feels preety smooth - the timeline moves fast and easily. I have had the odd spinning beachball when adjusting the Colour Corrector but no crashes just running slow. Who knows if that is in any way Kona related though.

In terms of your graphics card compatibility - it is listed on Avids website as being an approved card so you should be fine there. I have not got any experience of that particualr card though.

I think the KL box is compatible, the boxes are broadly card specific but I think the LHe and the plus are very similar cards so again should be good there but worth just getting your serial number and checking with AJA - I have always found the support very helpful, they will confirm.

Not wanting to be too cruel to Matrox but I used a Matrox MX02 with a V5.x Avid just before Xmas at a place I was working and also found it to be slow and stuttery at times. It would not be my choice of I/O with Avid.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Craig Hirshberg
Re: Kona LHe Plus compatibility question
on Mar 26, 2012 at 6:12:29 pm

Thanks for the response Neil. I probably will go with the Kona.

Craig Hirshberg
Rock Creek productions, Inc.
http://www.rock-creek.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]