FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie P2 Workflow Question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewen
Newbie P2 Workflow Question
on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:10:15 pm

Hi there,

I have a workflow question. I need to deliver a hard disk with files from a P2 Varicam shot at 720P. They go to an Apple edit suite running FCP 7 and a Kona card system. We need to up convert the 720P off-speed footage to 1080i for the edit.

We have talked about going HD-SDI through the Kona Card but this would mean the camera has to be there to play out those clips and I need to be able to drop off a disk/or cards with all the files.

Is there a standard and best workflow for this?

It is AVC Intra 100, 720P off speed footage

Thanks in advance,

James

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Newbie P2 Workflow Question
on Feb 14, 2012 at 5:47:37 pm

The only way to CROSS convert (that is the proper terminology, BTW, not upconvert) tapeless footage thru a Kona card is to play out the signal somehow. Either with your camera (although timecode will not match at all...which might be an issue)...or to import the files into another FCP system, and send the signal out of one system via a capture card into the other system with the Kona. That is the only other way it will work.

But note that your 720p footage, when converted to 1080i....will be 30fps, not 60. As there is no 1080p60 standard. If you need the footage to remain 60fps, then they need to import as 720p60. And then they can just let FCP scale the picture. It won't be as good as a hardware cross convert, but it will be pretty decent.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robbie Coblentz
Re: Newbie P2 Workflow Question
on Feb 15, 2012 at 1:38:05 pm

Or you could injest via FCP, export a Quicktime movie and then do the upscale via Compressor. Far superior scaling engine that FCP 7's scale function.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]