FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 vs. 3G - who is using HDMI?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Holloway
Kona 3 vs. 3G - who is using HDMI?
on Feb 3, 2012 at 10:18:32 pm

I am considering purchasing a Kona 3 (second hand) or a 3G. It is my understanding the Kona 3's firmware can be upgraded to the same as 3G and the primary difference at that point is the 3G includes an HDMI post. I would like to know if..

1) Is it true that once the Kona 3 firmware is updated the only technical difference between the two is the 3G has the added HDMI port?

2) For those who own the 3G, do you use the HDMI port frequently? I'm planning to use this with Smoke for Mac (which I'm currently using as I learn the platform on a project-tutorial bases, but no output display yet).

Return to posts index

Mike Mendoza
Re: Kona 3 vs. 3G - who is using HDMI?
on Feb 4, 2012 at 10:34:47 am

I believe Kona 3 is only capable of 2k max, and Kona 3g is 4k max.
Also, I believe Kona 3g has a bit more audio capabilities when using the optional breakout box.

As far as Smoke and the Kona 3g. You need to be running Smoke 2012 SAP (subscription advantage pack), which is not part of the trial or educational versions. In other words you need the SAP release for Kona 3g to utilize the HDMI output. The SAP release also has more options for other codecs such as ProRes. The SAP releases are not free and you need to be enrolled and pay extra for these.

When the next major release is announced (such as 2012 SP4?) they may add the codecs and hdmi support that is lacking. But who knows when that may be happen?

Return to posts index

Ahmed Sajid
on Feb 6, 2012 at 8:30:54 am

Hello Mark,

I didnt know it was possible to upgrade firmware of the Kona 3. How did you know about it ?

I too own a Kona 3 and would like to upgrade it. Please let me know.

Sorry for not being able to help you with the original Qs.

Regards,
Sajid

Return to posts index

Mark Holloway
on Feb 6, 2012 at 3:18:25 pm

I contacted someone on ebay who said they updated the firmware of their Kona 3 to the 3G firmware. If you go there and search for Kona 3G Upgrade the listing will show.

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Feb 8, 2012 at 5:04:59 pm

They are two distinctly different cards with different capabilities. We have both here and they are different.
we don't use HDMI since it won't pass Psf signals. Component analog will and that's what we use.
there is a firmware updater in most download packages from AJA after the package has been installed the folder labelled AJA Utilities has a program called AJA Kona updater. This will check your firmware and install the update if required

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Bryce Button
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:24:02 pm

Hi Folks,

Just to clarify for readers of this thread. AJA does NOT offer a KONA 3 to KONA 3G firmware update. There are more differences between the two cards than simply an HDMI port. Performing such a firmware update may indeed lead to unforeseen issues and problems.

Further, regarding Smoke on Mac interaction, Autodesk continues to enable various features on our cards as they move forward. It is recommended that you stay current with your versions from Autodesk for the best user experience.

Bryce Button
AJA Product Marketing Manager
http://www.aja.com

Return to posts index

Mark Holloway
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:32:49 pm

Hi Bryce,

Thanks for the clarification. For folks like myself who are still learning Smoke through training *and* using the free Smoke for Mac 2012 Education License from Autodeak, we don't have the ability to stay "current" in the sense that we cannot access any SfM 2012 add-ons. That means whatever is available in the SfM 2012 SP1 release, that is what we have to work with - while commercial customers with an active subscription get to take advantages of the current (latest & greatest) features that have been released by Autodesk since the last base release. That is the reason why I was trying to get a better understanding on the differences between the Kona 3 and 3G. I'm grateful for the opportunity Autodesk has provided to learn the software (something I could only wish for a decade ago). At the same time AJA has done an amazing job by making the hardware available at reasonable prices while still making a high quality product that all the top facilities have come to rely on. I definitely don't want my thread to have come across as if I'm complaining, because I'm certainly not at all, I am just trying to drill down to what's viable for me today as I progress through the learning stages. Thanks again for your input. It's very helpful! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]