FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA v10.2 "X Beta" drivers for FCPX 10.0.3 available now

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AJA Sales Department
AJA v10.2 "X Beta" drivers for FCPX 10.0.3 available now
on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:30:29 pm

Hello,

AJA v10.2 "X Beta” drivers are now available for download, enabling Io XT and the latest KONA cards to be used with the new beta Broadcast Monitoring feature available in Final Cut Pro X 10.0.3. Downloads for your specific AJA device are available here:
http://www.aja.com/support/index.php

AJA has prepared a document that explains how editors can use AJA products with this latest version of Final Cut Pro X. Please download the PDF document here (direct PDF link):
http://www.aja.com/pdf/FCP_X_and_AJA.pdf

For tape-based capture and playback of Final Cut Pro X material, AJA offers the AJA VTR Xchange application.

The v10.2 X Beta zip archive contains driver software, AJA Control Panel, AJA VTR Xchange and documentation. v10.2 X Beta requires the use of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Please be sure to read thoroughly the documentation included in the v10.2 X Beta download to ensure proper use.

Thank you for your continuing support of AJA products. Please feel free to contact us at any time.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Ned Soltz
Re: AJA v10.2 "X Beta" drivers for FCPX 10.0.3 available now
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:32:37 pm

Now, a dumb question-- Is this only for FCP X? Will I lose functionality with FCP 7, CS5.5 and MC6?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:48:59 pm

Hey, Ned.

I'd read the PDF, but AJA recommends a separate install for FCPX drivers.

--

I can't believe that I am really going to download and install Lion today (on a separate drive, of course).

See what you make me do AJA???? :-D

Just kidding, thanks guys.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ned Soltz
on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:51:50 pm

Yes, and that's what AJA just told me on the phone. However, FCP X is already running on the same drive as FCP 7, CS 5.5 and MC 6.

They really weren't certain whether the 10.2 driver would kill FCP 7 and CS5.5 but it probably would break MC6.

I'm tempted to test it anyway since the worst thing that could happen would be having to reinstall the last version.

Return to posts index

Justin Schultz
on Jan 31, 2012 at 8:03:45 pm

How would one install it side by side with say the 9.1 driver for LHi? possible on the same system disc?

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Jan 31, 2012 at 8:13:33 pm

I went ahead and took the leap and installed the 10.2.x drivers. So far I've been able to open and play video in Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer 6, and Final Cut Pro 7. I did have to download the 10.1 Avid Open IO Drivers to get the Avid to work. I guess I'll try Premiere Pro next.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.
Orlando,FL.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Jan 31, 2012 at 8:41:12 pm

The version 10.2 X Beta driver is a combined driver release: it supports our existing integration methods with applications via QuickTime components, it also interacts with apps like Avid via the latest Open IO Plug In version (posted yesterday) and it offers new CMIO (Core Media IO) support which enables the beta video monitoring feature when used with the Final Cut Pro X 10.0.3 release.

Hopefully this clarifies the potential use of this new driver release.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Verne Mattson
on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:17:55 pm

The version 10.1 driver release specifically includes the ability to force progressive output out of Avid for those (like me) who monitor with a Dreamcolor via HDMI.

Is that capability included in the 10.2 driver release?

Verne

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:05:12 pm

Yes, the force progressive option introduced in the version 10.1 driver is also included in the version 10.2 X Beta driver.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Ned Soltz
on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:15:36 pm

I did install the 10.2 beta and do have output from FCP X.

It isn't the prettiest of all solutions at this point, however.

FCP X does not control the card as does FCP 7, meaning that you need to go into the AJA Control Panel if viewing a project in a different size/frame rate. That was definitely covered in the AJA ReadMe.

It will not play back unrendered footage without dropping frames.

I normally edit with 2 24" displays plus my FSI monitor coming SDI from the Kona 3G. In FCP X, I had been displaying the viewer full screen on the second monitor. With unrendered material, it would playback. With output going to the Kona, both the computer monitor and the Kona drop frames. This is the same whether utilizing 2 computer displays or 1. If I turn off the AV output from FCP X in the Window menu, then I can play back unrendered material on the computer display.

Definitely am noticing some latency between selecting clip and display.

In my FCP X prefs under AV device, all that is available is Kona 1080 23.98. None of the other frame sizes/rates are available in FCP prefs. Of course, everything is available in the AJA Control Panel.

Magic Bullet Looks has a display option and recognizes the Kona. But the Kona output does not update while making adjustments within Looks. It only updates when back in the timeline AND moving playhead to force a re-draw via the Kona.

Ned Soltz

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Jan 31, 2012 at 11:00:40 pm

This is not the behavior seen on some of the test systems at AJA. In one scenario, we have an AJA Io XT connected to a 17" MacBook Pro with Promise R6 storage array daisy chained from the Io XT and broadcast video output connected to a monitor via SDI. Even on this laptop configuration, with a Final Cut Pro X supplied effect applied and unrendered, the footage plays back in realtime.

In another scenario, an AJA KONA 3G card is being used in a MacPro (12 core) with a single Apple Cinema Display connected and the video output connected to a monitor via SDI. Again, with a Final Cut Pro X effect applied and unrendered, the footage plays back in realtime.

Please consider that both Apple and AJA are referring to the new broadcast video monitoring feature as beta. Different configurations may perform differently. The use of third party effects compared to Apple supplied effects, or different computer/graphics cards/displays may produce different results.

Also be aware that the format and frame rate for the video output, as you noted, needs to be selected via the AJA Control Panel application prior to launching and using Final Cut Pro X 10.0.3. The documentation regarding interactions between AJA hardware/driver and Final Cut Pro X 10.0.3, referred to in this thread, may be found here:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/FCP_X_and_AJA.pdf

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Ned Soltz
on Feb 1, 2012 at 1:52:14 am

Testing scenario here is 8-core MacPro, Quadro 4000, 16gb RAM, ATTO R680 to 8-drive array. 2 Monitors, scopes on.

Cannot play back unrendered material without dropping frames whether it is 3rd party effect (and MB Looks for FCP X is glacially slow) or native effect.

Restarting fixed the inconsistent display between where I had set AJA Control Panel and what FCP X displayed in AV Prefs.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Feb 1, 2012 at 3:27:06 am

Not sure that the NVIDIA Quadro 4000 in your system supports OpenCL under Mac OS 10.7 Lion. A graphics card that supports OpenCL is a system requirement for Final Cut Pro X.

More information can be found here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4728

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Ned Soltz
on Feb 1, 2012 at 3:30:46 am

Yes. The Quadro 4000 could be the issue. But I have had no problems with FCP X and the Quadro up to this point under Lion. As I said, once the clips render, there is no playback issue.

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Feb 1, 2012 at 4:34:51 pm

I have a 2007, 8 Core 3GHZ machine with a Kona 3 and a ATI 5770 Graphics Card. I'm getting a 1 second delay from the time I press play in the timeline to when it actually starts playing in FCPX 10.0.3. I'm using the 10.2.X driver. The delay only happens with I have AV turned on. In an interesting note, My Avid Media Composer 6 works great with the 10.2.X and is very peppy and has no delays.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.
Orlando,Fl.

Greg Jones
Orlando,Fl.

Return to posts index

Logan Kelsey
on Feb 1, 2012 at 6:49:28 pm

FYI - Same behavior here; 1 second delay on playback - only happens when A/V Output is turned on.

12 core Mac Pro
24 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770
OS 10.7.2
Kona 3

Vertical Online
http://www.verticalonline.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]