FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID MC6 using Kona 3G exclusively

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Nelson
AVID MC6 using Kona 3G exclusively
on Nov 23, 2011 at 6:00:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I installed the new drivers for my AJA Kona 3G card and installed the i/o plugin for AVID MC6. It works like a charm. Quite happy with this setup.

The problem I have is: I'm switching constantly between Avid and After Effects and the Avid software is using the card exclusively. This results in no video preview in After Effects. I used this setup the last couple of years with Final Cut instead of Avid and had no problems.

Is it possible to fix this "bug" or any other workaround?

Thx!

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Re: AVID MC6 using Kona 3G exclusively
on Nov 23, 2011 at 10:38:57 pm

Please refer to page 7 of the Avid and AJA document found here for more information:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/Avid_and_AJA.pdf

----
"Using Other Applications and the AJA Control Panel"
It is important to remember that when the Avid software is being used that the AJA hardware is not accessible by other applications. In order to use the AJA hardware with other software applications, you will need to quit the Avid software and wait for the AJA Control Panel to no longer report "AjA Device in use by App (Avid)".
----

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to contact AJA Technical Support for assistance.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Nov 23, 2011 at 10:57:05 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, although it only confirms what I asked in the first place. This would be a nice thing to have. Any chance of a different approach in this matter in future driver versions?

Best

B.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Nov 24, 2011 at 12:28:33 am

Many applications release the AJA hardware for use when they are not in focus; this allows you to switch between applications and use the AJA hardware for video output. At this time, this is not possible when using Avid software. Only the method as outlined in the document and posted to this thread is possible.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 24, 2011 at 1:02:26 am

Are you switching between apps or hiding Avid?

When we Hide Avid, we can switch between FCP, Premiere Pro and Avid with a Kona 3 and the Kona follows along with each app. You MUST hide Avid in order for this to work. It's crazy that it does work at all, but at least on our two systems that have Avid so far, it does work.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Nov 24, 2011 at 11:58:04 am

Hi Walter,

nope...just tested it. Hiding Avid doesn't work. AJA Control panel keeps telling "AJA device in use by avid" and I won't get any monitoring in After Effects or Nuke or whatever.

Kind of a bummer...good thing that I just updated my system with a SSD drive so that Avid opens up in 2 seconds! ;)

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 11, 2011 at 5:55:20 pm

Have no idea whether it will work or not, but have you tried Fast User Switching running AE as another user?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]