FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thoughts so far on MC6 from a FCP7 user

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Jones
Thoughts so far on MC6 from a FCP7 user
on Nov 22, 2011 at 3:18:49 pm

So I've been on the quest to find the replacement for Final Cut Pro 7. I've dabbled with Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro X, and now Media Composer 6. They all seem to have their advantages and disadvantages. I used Media Composer 10 years ago before switching to Final Cut Pro and I'll start off by saying that Avid seems to have come a long way since those days. I'm not familiar with the Avid terminology so please forgive me if I sound a little like I don't know what I'm talking about.

I downloaded the MC6 trial a few days ago and just installed the Kona 3 drivers yesterday. I'm working on an old 8 core Mac 2,1 Computer with 8 GB of ram. The first thing I noticed was that it seems to be really peppy. Moving the clips around, insert editing, output to broadcast monitor, etc. I have Premiere Pro on this same computer and it has a really hard time keeping up. Premiere Pro seems very clunky and output to Kona works sometimes and sometimes not. Avid worked with my Kona 3 card as soon as I installed the drivers.

It's taken me a little bit getting used the Avid way of editing again. With Final Cut Pro 7 and Premiere Pro you can grab clips, throw them on the timeline anywhere you want, drag in and out points, etc. Avid you have to be in certain modes, even though they have an 'auto mode'(Forgive me for lack of terminology) that seems to do a pretty good job.

The new avid interface is very good. It fills the computer screen nicely. Having source/program monitors are very nice. It seems to be very easy to find commands, etc.

I'm going to try it out for another 30 days, and I'll report back then. I'm very excited about what's going on in the post world right now. The prices have come way down since the old days and for the most part, the software has gotten a lot better.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.
Orlando,FL.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Thoughts so far on MC6 from a FCP7 user
on Nov 22, 2011 at 3:28:19 pm

[Greg Jones] "The first thing I noticed was that it seems to be really peppy."

That's the thing that jumped out at us the first time we got everything working during the testing process. Even on our oldest four core Mac Pro, Avid MC6 is very snappy even compared to FCP 7.

AJA has done an outstanding job to support three major NLEs all on the single card and even using a single driver. I have no idea how they do that, but it sure makes life easier for folks like us. We're running all three apps on the same machine and the Kona just stays right with us.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:20:40 pm

Hey Walter,

What are you guys using now? Are you still cutting on Final Cut Pro 7 or have you started making the transition to Premiere Pro or Avid? Just curious as next year seems to be the year of new things.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.
Orlando,FL.

Greg Jones
Orlando,Fl.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:34:40 pm

[Greg Jones] "What are you guys using now? Are you still cutting on Final Cut Pro 7 or have you started making the transition to Premiere Pro or Avid? Just curious as next year seems to be the year of new things."

We started cutting on Premiere Pro about two months ago. Once the AJA drivers were ready we started cutting projects on Avid MC 6 as well. We originate nothing on FCP 7 any longer except for the "Science Nation" series because the editor has not picked up either yet.

We still have not determined which will be the "primary" NLE yet, but we have decided that we will support all three major NLEs moving forward. It does me no good to box ourselves into one product being an independent Post house. So all of the editors here will be able to use Avid and Adobe moving forward and I'll make sure at least one of them is VERY proficient in one or the other. Everyone will be able to use all the tools and at least one person will be able to give in house tech support to the others.

As for FCP X, we'll have it in the shop, but we won't originate anything on it. It'll be here to support anyone who brings us a project originated in that application.

Over the Christmas break I'm also going to start getting up to speed on Smoke as well so we can support that workflow.

All of the NLEs support all of our hardware so I'm not going to pigeon hole us into one place. This opens up our facility to anyone who wants to use our services regardless of the application. Adobe / Avid give us cross platform support so that gives us more options from a hardware standpoint as well. As a business owner I have to put us in the best position to move forward easily and efficiently. Choosing one platform over the other is not going to allow us to do that.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:03:38 pm

Hi Walter, let me know if you have any Smoke questions. I've been using that for a number of years now. It's kind of an odd box but what makes it great is the quality of output. The color corrector is really good, chroma keyer is really good, and the trackers are about the best out there but I wouldn't want to cut anything complicated on it. But you don't have to since you can do that elsewhere and import it in which is what it's made for. Things like tape in/out also are rock solid.

Robert brown

robmbrown@me.com

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 23, 2011 at 3:11:33 am

I am not an editor, and I have no preference for Premier or AVID MC6 - but I can tell you that in 2011, I have only built one Adobe Premier system, but in the last few weeks, I have built a LOT of AVID systems. And everyone is saying that Premier takes a more powerful computer, and AVID (with the AJA stuff) does not. The AVID spec is for the big 12 core, but almost no one has this expensive computer. Having an AVID background (but not touching it for about 10 years), I am not having an issue going back to AVID - but I think Premier is terrific. The only people I see using Premier are die-hard RED users that like the RED workflow in Premier. Most people are still using FCP 7, but those that are switching, seem to be switching to Media Composer.

Just my observation. I really don't care - as long as it's not FCP X (unless Apple fixes it - which I doubt will happen).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Nov 24, 2011 at 12:09:23 pm

I have to confirm Walters statement about Avid and AJA. The driver they build seems to be perfect. It reacts even faster and more "natural" to my editing than FCP7 ever did.

When FCP X came out, I was very attracted by the idea of making Premiere to our main editing tool in Post Production / online edit (we use Avid Media Composer for offline-editing for more than 15 years now). RED support, DPX sequence timecode read, ... all very nice features. But I was very soon down to earth when I had to deal with monitoring over my AJA card. Very slow, very unsteady, kind of finger-crossing if it will work today, and so on. It turned out to be no solution for me.

Here in germany 95% of the prime-time commercial spots are offline-edited in Avid, so with the new version I'm fine returning back to the "old lord Avid". Goodbye Apple. We had a nice time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]