FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cable connections for the BetacamSP 1800 to AJA Kona LHe

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Favaloro
Cable connections for the BetacamSP 1800 to AJA Kona LHe
on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:36:56 am

Greetings Everyone!

I'm a video editor and I'm having a hard time getting my BetacamSP 1800 working with my AJA Kona LHe system. Firstly I'm not a technical expert I've been working as an editor using the basic editing system setups - camcorder to mac to FCP 6, so this is a new frontier for me.

Here's a list of the equipment I have to help make my problem description easier;

* Apple Mac Pro with Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6)
* AJA Kona LHe system + LHe Breakout Box
* BetacamSP UVW-1800P
* Sony Audio Mixer

I've made the basic cable connections between the Mac and the breakout box but now as far as connecting the breakout box to the betacam unit, this is where I'm stuck. I want to use the component 2 Y, R-Y & B-Y ports on the back of the betacam unit to connect to the breakout box but the component ports on the breakout box are different. I've spent the past 2 days trying to get this to work but I've had no luck and there is no direct info on the web.

Any help here would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Stephen Favaloro

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Cable connections for the BetacamSP 1800 to AJA Kona LHe
on Nov 22, 2011 at 1:20:10 am

Red goes into R-Y in, Blue goes into B-Y in, and Green goes into 2-Y in. And then RS-422 goes to the REMOTE on the deck, so you can control the deck.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Stephen Favaloro
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:13:14 am

Hi Shane

Thanks for your prompt answer, really appreciate any help I can get. If I go about this way, will I still be able to use the audio mixer through the deck? I'm also looking at building my own sound booth and I want to be able to record straight from the booth to the computer without having to use a camcorder.

Thanks again

Stephen

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 22, 2011 at 8:13:12 am

[Stephen Favaloro] " If I go about this way, will I still be able to use the audio mixer through the deck?"

You can route the deck to the mixer, then the mixer outs to the card. I do this myself.

[Stephen Favaloro] "I'm also looking at building my own sound booth and I want to be able to record straight from the booth to the computer without having to use a camcorder. "

Absolutely. Sound booth to the mixer, mixer to the card.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 22, 2011 at 2:48:59 am

Hi -
in addition to Shane's post - do you know what the AJA Control Panel is ? Find it, and look at the Input tab. Make sure that you have the correct thing (component) selected.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Stephen Favaloro
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:36:42 am

Hi Bob

I do know what the AJA Control Panel is and during this whole exercise I've been using it to see if I can get the connection established or not.

What I've tried to do is to connect cables from the component 2 Y, R-Y & B-Y ports (both the input and output sides - total 6 ports) and connect them to the Composite / Component video in and out ports on the AJA KL box. Basically what I need to know is which cables match the component in and out ports on the betacam unit to the KL Box.

I'm very sorry if this is all basic / baby stuff to everyone here and I do admit I'm not a technical expert.

Regards

Stephen

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 23, 2011 at 3:15:09 am

This might be confusing if you are a beginner. The "Y IN" cable goes to the "Y Out" on the VTR. Some people see the cable say "Y IN" and say "oh, that goes to the Y input of the VTR". This is incorrect. "Y IN" on the cable is the input to the card, and goes to the "Y Out" of the VTR. Same applies to Pb (B-Y on the Beta) and Pr (R-Y on the Beta).

If you have a component TV, stick the Out Y Pb Pr from the AJA Kona into your TV, and see if you can make a picture (like color bars with the test pattern from FCP). Then take the three remaining cables (IN Y Pb Pr) and plug these into the OUTPUT of your Beta VTR. Switch the AJA Control Panel from Test Pattern to INPUT PASSTHRU, and you should see your VTR playing back.

BobZelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]