FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA KONA 3G on POWER PC with IBM processors

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lobarev Eugene
AJA KONA 3G on POWER PC with IBM processors
on Oct 2, 2011 at 1:30:06 pm

Good day! Writing from Ukraine. Have some problem with AJA KONA 3G on my Power PC with IBM processors. On official site I read that kona will work on POWER PC. I put kona in MAC , download Drivers. Kona don`t wanna work. Everything i did but nothing changed ((( On MacPRO with Intel processors working good. Maybe somebody know interesting things about KONA on Power PC?) Please help because I can`t work fully. Thank u!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: AJA KONA 3G on POWER PC with IBM processors
on Oct 2, 2011 at 4:03:33 pm

[Lobarev Eugene] " On MacPRO with Intel processors working good. Maybe somebody know interesting things about KONA on Power PC?) Please help because I can`t work fully. Thank u"

Lobarev,

Only the Kona 3X is designed to run on PPC, it is about what the buss is in your computer. PPC computers use PCIX connectivity, but the Apple Intel machines use the PCIE buss.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Lobarev Eugene
on Oct 2, 2011 at 7:04:22 pm

No.

"Minimum KONA 3G System:

Power Mac G5 (dual) PCI-Express, 2GHz with 2GB RAM minimum for uncompressed SD or 4GB RAM for uncompressed HD. Ensure your Macintosh has a PCI-Express slot for compatibility. Use a Fibre Channel or SCSI external RAID for uncompressed SD/HD storage." ( http://www.aja.com/support/konaNEW/kona-3g.php )

U see, that KONA 3G work on PPC G5 LATE)) I have this model with 4 PCI -EXPRESS(two 4x, one 8x, one 16x). On 16x stay graphic card, on 8x i put SCSI controller and in one of 4x PCIE KONA 3G. But I see on monitor from composite or HDMI only noise.

I don`t know how fight with this problem( I don`t wanna change KONA on Blackmagic because KONA 3G can play 4K. We shot movies on RED ONE and cut in APPLE PRORES 422 (HQ) not in RAW, but I know, that when we`ll do collorcorection sometime i`ll use RAW in 4K) Thank u)

Studio Bayrak. Ukraine.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 3, 2011 at 3:23:13 pm

[Lobarev Eugene] "U see, that KONA 3G work on PPC G5 LATE)) "

That was a fairly rare machine, you are correct the card will work in that machine- However You will be only able to handle Uncompressed and maybe DVCProHD, you will not be able to playback many of the ProRes flavors, AVCHD or some R3D on that computer without an intel processor.

" But I see on monitor from composite or HDMI only noise. "

How are you watching Composite Video- the K3G only has Component, HDMI and HDSDI V-outs.

Did you re-flash the firmware?
you are going back generations in hardware , and the newer firmware will not work with older versions, your bigger issue is that most of the tools you need to read and playback RED content will not run on a PPC machine.

ProRes HQ will have limited ouptut success on A PPC machine, and the Min specs for FCP7 require Intel processor.

So it "may" work- my guess is more hassle than anything

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Eugene Lobarev
on Oct 3, 2011 at 4:26:13 pm

Kona 3G:

Video Output

Digital:

3G SD and HD-SDI, SMPTE-259/292/296/424
Dual-link HD 4:4:4 and 2K HSDL 4:4:4
4K playout via 4 SDI, YCbCr and RGB
HDMI v1.4, 30/36 bits/pixel, RGB or YUV, 2.25Gbps

Analog:

SD and HD Output, 12-bits, BNC
HD: YPbPr, RGB
SD: YPbPr, RGB (component mode) or Composite +
Y/C (composite mode with simultaneous Y/C)

( http://www.aja.com/products/kona/kona3g/specs.php )

I`m update firmware to version that work on PPC. It`s read on official site.

I work in FCP6 and proress going good!

Studio Bayrak. Ukraine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]