FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and Aja Kona 3. Video on desktop not as smooth as external monitor. Please Advise.

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Svatek
Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and Aja Kona 3. Video on desktop not as smooth as external monitor. Please Advise.
on Sep 7, 2011 at 5:34:00 pm

So I am really trying to figure out if this works as fluidly as it does in FCP and Avid as I would expect in Premiere Pro CS 5.5.

Specs:
Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor with 8 cores, 12 gb of ram
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT Graphics card with 512 MB of VRAM
OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard)
Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5
Aja Kona3 9.0.3 Control Panel (9.0.5 I know is not good for Leopard)
Adobe Mac 9.0.1 plugins

The problem:
Video plays fine in an Aja sequence only in the external monitor. On my desktop, the video is a bit jittery in both the source and preview monitors and my keyboard strokes tend to lag. If I switch to the Adobe player in the preferences and use an Adobe sequence, I of course lose my external monitor capabilities but the video in both preview and source monitors are fluid and the key stroke responses are spot on.

Is there a world where the video in all three monitors (Preview, Source, & External) are fluid in motion as a professional editor would expect as they are in Avid and FCP7. If there is not, this will be another set back from the FCPX release and grudgingly increase my expectations for Media Composer 6.

If anyone does in fact have this working in a professional client environment, please share your specs and process how you get this to work.

Thank You,
Adam Svatek

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and Aja Kona 3. Video on desktop not as smooth as external monitor. Please Advise.
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:49:38 am

You have a QUAD core Mac. Smooth playback in the app and on the external monitor requires an Octo-core Mac. I cannot get smooth playback at work (Quad core), but I can on my home machine (8 core). It's unfortunate that this is the case...as we don't need this for FCP or Avid, but the 64bit CS5.5 does require this. If you turn the Video Player to Adobe, you get smooth playback in the app...but of course no playback on the external monitor.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]