FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing 720P from Betacam SP?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Whittington
Importing 720P from Betacam SP?
on Aug 23, 2011 at 7:06:06 pm

This might be a stupid question, but I'm not good at these technical things.

I have a bunch of footage on Betacam SP tapes. Apparently the footage was originally shot 720P. I want to capture it that way. However, using my Kona and Sony Betacam SP deck (UVW-1800) I can only import it into FCP as SD letterboxed footage.

Is this because the footage is on Betacam SD tapes (does it have to be digi-beta)? Do I need a different deck?

Thanks for helping out the tech-challenged!

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Importing 720P from Betacam SP?
on Aug 23, 2011 at 9:43:40 pm

Betacam SP is a standard definition format, as is Digi-Beta. You don't get HD recordings on either, so if you have material on either of them that was originated in HD it must have been down-converted to SD (and that's not reversible).

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 23, 2011 at 10:25:54 pm

[James Whittington] "I have a bunch of footage on Betacam SP tapes. Apparently the footage was originally shot 720P. I want to capture it that way. However, using my Kona and Sony Betacam SP deck (UVW-1800) I can only import it into FCP as SD letterboxed footage.

Is this because the footage is on Betacam SD tapes (does it have to be digi-beta)? Do I need a different deck?"

If it's on BetaSP, it's Standard Definition now. You can capture it to 720p via the Kona board, but it's just going to be an upconversion of the standard def originals. It won't be 720p HD native footage.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

James Whittington
on Aug 23, 2011 at 10:37:43 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I was actually able to track down the original DVCPRO tapes...so looks like I just need to rent a deck and we're all good!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]