FORUMS: list search recent posts

My Little Fantasy

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
My Little Fantasy
on Jul 18, 2011 at 3:57:17 pm

AJA comes out with a Kona Cuda Killer Combo with Thunderbolt connectivity. Basically an external Kona card with a built in GPU. I can plug it into my Thunderbolt Macbook Pro and it makes Premiere or Final Cut X scream! Plus giving all the i/o monitoring stuff. Sweet dreams...

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: My Little Fantasy
on Jul 18, 2011 at 9:53:22 pm

a Kona card (or anybody else) will not make Premier, FCP 7 or FCP X scream (scream usually means accelerate, or speed up rendering - I/O cards don't do this).

As for a thunderbolt interface for Kona, this "allegedly" will happen as soon as this Sonnet product gets released -

Sonnet's Echo™ Express PCIe 2.0 Expansion Chassis with Thunderbolt™ Ports enable you to connect one high-performance PCI Express® 2.0 adapter card to any computer with a Thunderbolt port. Imagine using full-size professional video capture cards, 8Gb Fibre Channel cards, 10-Gigabit Ethernet cards, and RAID controller cards with your new iMac® or MacBook® Pro. The Echo Express expansion chassis makes it possible! Available in two sizes, the standard Echo Express PCIe 2.0 Expansion Chassis with Thunderbolt Ports supports one half-length, double-width, x16 (x4 mode), PCIe 2.0 card, while the XL model supports one full-length card; both models have fans to cool the cards. The standard model includes a built-in 75W power supply, while the XL model includes an integrated 150W power supply with a supplemental 75W PCIe power connector. Two Thunderbolt ports support daisy chaining of up to six devices to a single port on the host computer.

AND for your fantasy - thinking that FCP X will support ANY external hardware product from anyone else - well, this is a real fantasy.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jul 19, 2011 at 1:19:20 am

[Bob Zelin] "a Kona card (or anybody else) will not make Premier, FCP 7 or FCP X scream (scream usually means accelerate, or speed up rendering - I/O cards don't do this)."

The GPU, Bob! It has a built in GPU; with CUDA!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 19, 2011 at 5:41:52 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "The GPU, Bob! It has a built in GPU; with CUDA!"

FYI - CUDA is Nvidia Specific GPU control

OpenCL, allows more than just Nvidia cards, it also allows the intel chipset that is used by the new laptops as well as the ATI cards.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Jul 19, 2011 at 1:14:34 am

Actually you may not be far off.

Return to posts index