FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lag Moving Clips on Timeline in Premiere

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Holland
Lag Moving Clips on Timeline in Premiere
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:32:37 pm

HI,

I am running Premiere CS5 on a MAC with an ATi Radeon 5770 HD 1GB graphics card and a KonaLhi card and am having an issue I have never seen before using this setup.

Basically whenever i try to drag clips around in the timeline I get serious lag. Oftentimes the clips won't move when I drag them or will jump around to different layers as if I still have the left mouse button pressed and still have hold of the clip.

I am using a Bluetooth mouse so maybe this could be the issue ?

Has anyone seen this issue and if so do you know a workaround ?

Thanks.

Chris

Chris Holland
Editor/Animation/Design
hollandedit.com

Return to posts index

Nathan Bezner
Re: Lag Moving Clips on Timeline in Premiere
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:02:22 pm

I was having a similar issue (when selecting all clips it would take about five seconds for Premiere to recognize that I was doing anything at all). My solution was to close the metadata panel, then everything worked fine. I'm not sure if that helps at all, just my personal experience.

-N

-N

Return to posts index

Chris Holland
on Jul 15, 2011 at 8:02:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I dont' even have the METADATA panel open so it's not that for me.

I posted the same thing in the Premiere forum and it looks like it's a known issue.

IMO, tough thing to have happen when you are trying to get the FCP base to switch over.

Thanks again.

Chris Holland
Editor/Animation/Design
hollandedit.com

Return to posts index

Mark Crews
on Jul 18, 2011 at 7:06:33 pm

I am having a lot of the same issues. Everytime I try to play the timeline the Aja card breaks sync and then comes back on...

I am looking to switch out of FCP and I need this to work....

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 20, 2011 at 1:15:37 pm

I think this is one of the most important things Adobe has to figure out. The reliability of playback just isn't there yet. Sometimes I render a sequence and play it back and the first time I play it it skips badly but I play it again and it's ok like it has to get cached into ram or something.

Also I think there needs to be a force render, unless there is and I haven't found it. I've had times where I had 3 layers and PPro thought it could do it in real time but couldn't. Maybe the disk couldn't read the video fast enough but it wouldn't play back without skipping and also refused to render it.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 20, 2011 at 1:31:44 pm

Robert, if you hit the Return key, it will render if it thinks it is necessary, then it will playback from the top of the sequence.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:08:51 am

[Robert Brown] "Also I think there needs to be a force render,"

There is. In the sequence menu. Render Work Area. Mine's set to Ctl Enter but it's a definable keystoke.

I've observed that a lot of you FCP-ers are making premature assumptions about what PrPro can and can't do...without fully familiarizing yourself with the software. Like any other NLE it's a deep program that takes time to learn. I still discover new things after 6 years. So hold back on the conclusion leaping and ask, don't assume.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:50:31 am

[David Cherniack] "There is. In the sequence menu. Render Work Area. Mine's set to Ctl Enter but it's a definable keystoke.

I've observed that a lot of you FCP-ers are making premature assumptions about what PrPro can and can't do...without fully familiarizing yourself with the software. Like any other NLE it's a deep program that takes time to learn. I still discover new things after 6 years. So hold back on the conclusion leaping and ask, don't assume.
"

Thanks but I know about render work area and what I'm seeing is still the same. There seem to be conditions were PPro thinks it doesn't need to render and so doesn't even if you tell it to. I go into
sequence, hit render work area and it does nothing as there is a yellow bar and it cannot play the
comp in real time. Yes people can jump to conclusions but it can go both ways.

And BTW FCP has this exact same issue where sometimes it won't render no matter what you do unless you add a plugin.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jul 21, 2011 at 12:18:25 pm

[Robert Brown] "Thanks but I know about render work area and what I'm seeing is still the same. There seem to be conditions were PPro thinks it doesn't need to render and so doesn't even if you tell it to. I go into
sequence, hit render work area and it does nothing as there is a yellow bar and it cannot play the
comp in real time. Yes people can jump to conclusions but it can go both ways."

I've never encountered that. A yellow bar has always rendered for me when I hit Ctl-Enter. What effects have you applied that are not playing in real time? What's your h/w configuration?

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:31:43 pm

12 Core Mac, 10.6.8, PPro 5.5, 8GB, GTX 285. I did not try the exact hot key you described as I use FCP keys. I did try it from the sequence menu. I guess I could try loading up default keys and trying that exact combination just to be sure I'm not missing something.

Return to posts index

Javi Aledo
on Oct 20, 2011 at 8:56:20 am

I've the same problem:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/217/1736

Any solution?

CG, Music, Photography, Programming...
http://www.JaviAledo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Holland
on Oct 20, 2011 at 12:48:20 pm

Well I've read that switching to Lion fixes it but if you are using a Kona LHi card then you can't monitor SD and if you try to change your playback settings Premiere crashes.

We have 3 Macs here all the same except 2 of them are running Lion. None of the other 3 have this problem but both with Lion have the crashing issue when trying to adjust playback settings.

HD seems fine on Lion but you still can't adjust the sequence playback settings in Premiere.

Chris Holland
Editor/Animator

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]