FORUMS: list search recent posts

CUDA card or Kona 3 - Pick 1 for use

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Daigon
CUDA card or Kona 3 - Pick 1 for use
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:55:36 pm

Wow, I just learned from Adobe tech support,something that has the potential to really disappoint a lot of editors switching to PrP 5.5. I was told that PrP supports only 1 graphics card at a time. So you have a choice. If you want to take full advantage of your CUDA card speeding certain things up, then you cant use the Kona 3 card to output the video to an engineering / client monitor. And conversely, if you need to see your video from the Kona 3 card displayed on a external monitor, you cant take advantage of the MPE / CUDA benefits from your Nvidia card. Yikes.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
Re: CUDA card or Kona 3 - Pick 1 for use
on Jul 7, 2011 at 3:14:36 pm

Karl Lee Soule had this to day...

Tom, I believe this recently changed with the release of the new Kona drivers last week. It was true that the GPU benefits did not use to work when in an AJA preset timeline, because the AJA drivers didn't take advantage of it. But AJA rewrote the drivers.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:00:17 pm

Hi Tom,

If you want to take full advantage of your CUDA card speeding certain things up, then you cant use the Kona 3 card to output the video to an engineering / client monitor

This is slightly incorrect.

With Premiere Pro 5, the performance of GPU accelerated Mercury and AJA cards together, was only slighly better than having no GPU at all. But with Premiere Pro 5.5 and AJA's newest plugins, this performance has been dramatically improved.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

David Geary
on Jul 10, 2011 at 12:33:55 pm

Now if we could just get AJA to work with Davinci Resolve. I love my Kona3 card and the new drivers do work with CS5.5, but unless AJA can get drivers working for the Resolve system i'm not sure it will matter.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 10, 2011 at 7:22:32 pm

I dont use Resolve, so honestly,its not an issue for me.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor

Return to posts index

Peter McAuley
on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:17:37 pm

I too would really like to see this. They did prior to Resolve 8. I 'm affraid this may not change which would be a damn shame. When you have one supplier selling the software and the hardware, this is what can happen.

Peter McAuley
AXYZ
Toronto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]