FORUMS: list search recent posts

CS5.5 Mercury with Aja

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Arvidsson
CS5.5 Mercury with Aja
on Jul 5, 2011 at 10:06:42 pm

Hi on June 28, 2011 Aja released updates to AJA Kona family and Io Express to support CS5.5

It says on the Aja site that the Adobe 9.0.1 drivers bring added support for Adobe CS5.5 and dramatically improve AJA software performance with the Mercury Playback Engine in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5.

Does this mean you actually have use of a quadro fx card now when working in premiere. Before it seams like the mercury didn't boost anything for the aja output. Any experienced working with CS5.5 and a quadro fx card or other cuda supported cards?

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: CS5.5 Mercury with Aja
on Jul 5, 2011 at 10:13:50 pm

[Joel Arvidsson] "Does this mean you actually have use of a quadro fx card now when working in premiere. Before it seams like the mercury didn't boost anything for the aja output. Any experienced working with CS5.5 and a quadro fx card or other cuda supported cards?"

No, the Mercury Engine is three things. Processor, RAM and Graphics Card. With the AJA Kona board, now it's a fourth thing since the card can be used as part of the overall engine.

So how much realtime / Mercury performance you get from your system is the sum of those four things. I'm running all ATIs in our shop here except for our Resolve system. Premiere is working just fine here with ATI.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:30:03 am

Im not sure i follow. Do you mean all four things works in conjunction?
Does this mean that If I install a quadro fx card in the machine I will get a big speed boost. As I understand the mercury plays with no one else but it self. So you get a big speedboost from the cuda cores on youre nvida card but your Aja card can´t take advantage of this.

Of course faster cpu and more ram in the system Is a big factor.

By the way I enjoyed your "Transitioning videos".

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:38:45 pm

I found this on:
http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-en...

By Tom Dagion - 4:40 AM on July 1, 2011
I learned an important thing from Richard Harrington’s book yesterday. “None of the third party hardware cards (ie aja, Blackmagic) benefit from the CUDA component of the Mercury Playback Engine” He mentions some editors rough cut with with regular graphics card then switch to the hardware card to render and output. When I work with clients they need to see the display on the engineering monitor, so I dont think switching would work for me. On the other hand, I don’t have a CUDA graphics card (ATI) and since I use my Kona 3 for monitoring, I feel no need to upgrade to a CUDA card ;-)

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:15:27 am

That info might be superseded by the new Adobe plugin drivers. I havent confirmed that with AJA. Give them a call and let us all know.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:14:36 am

I mailed AJA yesterday.

My questgion
Hi I have a question if aja can work in conjunction with the Adobes mercury engine (with a nvidia card with cuda). Seams like aja can't take advantage of the mercury engine or have that changed with the new drivers that was released June 28, 201. The ones that updates to AJA Kona family and Io Express to support CS5.5
/Joel

AJA answer

Hi Joel,

The latest driver release is compatible with Mercury. The only exception is with RGB (4:4:4) uncompressed sequences.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:18:19 am

Does anybody here have experiences with the a aja card and cuda supported card with the new drivers?

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:03:55 am

I would like to know how the Kona 3 and Nvidia 4000 work in Premiere Pro 5.5. Doe the Nvidia only affect the display on the Mac monitors?Does it support 2 monitors like my ATI Radeon 3875? Does the the Kona only affect the video going to the external monitor? And what is happening with the MPE in this setup?

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 7, 2011 at 3:14:09 pm

deleted

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 14, 2011 at 3:39:46 am

Im using the Kona 3 with an Nvidia GTX 285 and dual monitors. Premiere is quicker to respond in a non Kona timeline but they do all work together. Yesterday I had 4 layers of 5D footage all scaled down with a keyable lower 3rd on top and it was all real time and full rez and in a Kona TL. It's till not as smooth as it needs to be but the performance blows FCP7 out of the water. I haven't ventured into "X" land yet and doubt I will any time soon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]