FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ref + timecode

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Gagne
Ref + timecode
on Jul 5, 2011 at 7:57:16 pm

We use our kona macs to do both recording and playout, is there a way to hook up ref and timecode both to an LHI breakout? Or do I have to swap cables?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Ref + timecode
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:05:33 pm

You would have to swap cables from LTC on input and ref on output.

Ideally, your LTC should be in step with blackburst.

How are you set up?

Return to posts index

David Gagne
on Jul 8, 2011 at 6:50:31 pm

We have an Evertz Master Clock 5600 feeding reference/tc over BNC. I have this plugged into the Ref port w/ 75ohm terminator on the loop end. I have it set to RP188 VITC 1 for timecode. In the control panel, I see "No Video", and no sync/timecode coming in.

I read in the manual that the source ref needs to be same definition as your output, is that true? I think my sync is only SD. I can sync via our SDI In I think, but I really need time code to work. If this doesn't work I'll have to monkey with the LTC stuff.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2011 at 7:22:03 pm

[David Gagne] "We have an Evertz Master Clock 5600 feeding reference/tc over BNC. I have this plugged into the Ref port w/ 75ohm terminator on the loop end. I have it set to RP188 VITC 1 for timecode."

Ref in on break out box is composite, not SDI. If the Evertz is sending composite LTC, then you need to click the "timecode" tab of the Control Panel and choose LTC.

The setting you have is for stealing tc via SDI, which is possible as well using VTR Exchange.

[David Gagne] "In the control panel, I see "No Video", and no sync/timecode coming in. "

No video on the SDI in? If ref says no video, then whatever you are sending it is wrong. Maybe send me a screen grab so I can see what exactly you mean.

[David Gagne] "I can sync via our SDI In I think, but I really need time code to work. If this doesn't work I'll have to monkey with the LTC stuff."

Your Kona will sync to SDI during capture, no matter what, the only time it uses ref is for output to lock to other devices. If you other devices are correctly hooked to Evertz, which is then hooked to house sync, you should be good.

It seems you have what you need, just need to get it all setup correctly.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2011 at 7:27:14 pm

[David Gagne] "We have an Evertz Master Clock 5600 feeding reference/tc over BNC. I have this plugged into the Ref port w/ 75ohm terminator on the loop end. I have it set to RP188 VITC 1 for timecode."

Ref in on break out box is composite, not SDI. If the Evertz is sending composite LTC, then you need to click the "timecode" tab of the Control Panel and choose LTC.

The setting you have is for stealing tc via SDI, which is possible as well using VTR Exchange.

[David Gagne] "In the control panel, I see "No Video", and no sync/timecode coming in. "

No video on the SDI in? If ref says no video, then whatever you are sending it is wrong. Maybe send me a screen grab so I can see what exactly you mean.

[David Gagne] "I can sync via our SDI In I think, but I really need time code to work. If this doesn't work I'll have to monkey with the LTC stuff."

Your Kona will sync to SDI during capture, no matter what, the only time it uses ref is for output to lock to other devices. If you other devices are correctly hooked to Evertz, which is then hooked to house sync, you should be good.

It seems you have what you need, just need to get it all setup correctly.

[David Gagne] "I read in the manual that the source ref needs to be same definition as your output, is that true? I think my sync is only SD."

Woops, forgot to answer this one Ideally, it should be the same format, but it's more about the frame rate. If you're working on 1080i29.97 HD, and your sync is 29.97 bi-level, you're all good. You can't send 29.97 sync and expect a 23.98 psf signal to work properly, for example.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Gagne
on Jul 9, 2011 at 11:10:11 pm

So I think I'm understanding this a bit better, but things still aren't working for me. Restating the situation:

Doing a multi-cam event, using a Ross Switcher. Need to capture and playout using AJA LHi. For capture, I need to somehow embed the timecode. We have an Everts time clock generating timecode which is fed to the switcher (works fine there).

From what I understand, with AJA my options for receiving the timecode are:
1. Via the LTC Serial Port
2. Via the SDI feed (embedded VITC)

I have tried getting LTC on the serial port but so far that has not been successful. I do have a VITC feed from the evertz, but I don't know how I would embed that onto my video data stream.

Also, for reference my two options are:
1. Use the reference port. Because we are shooting HD, I need Tri-Level Sync? SD Black Burst wasn't working... I'll try Tri-level later tomorrow.
2. Use my video input to sync -- This works.

Always learning more...

Return to posts index

David Gagne
on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:55:14 am

Argh, I'm another victim of the upside down breakout cable... BAH!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:41:59 pm

Doh! Everything is now working as expected?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]