FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prores with Aja & Premiere confusion

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Blumenstock
Prores with Aja & Premiere confusion
on Jul 4, 2011 at 1:25:21 pm

Why can't I capture Prores from within Premiere using a Kona card? There is also no Aja preset in combination with Prores.
If the card can do it and the Aja supplied app does it, why not Premiere?
I cannot find any answer to that anywhere.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Prores with Aja & Premiere confusion
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:01:26 pm

[Peter Blumenstock] "Why can't I capture Prores from within Premiere using a Kona card? There is also no Aja preset in combination with Prores."

Adobe does not include ProRes as that is only installed if you are working with Apples FCP, ProRes is not part of the base install of QT or the Adobe Premium package.

you can't have a preset for something that the machine cannot process.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Peter Blumenstock
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:10:00 pm

Hi Gary,

thanks for the reply. I do have Prores installed. So, one should think that I could create a Prores capture setting the same way I can when opening the Aja supplied capture application (which, as you know, can also capture Prores if it is on the machine) . Or the ability to capture 3D content via the Kona 3G and Cineform (which also requires Cineform to be installed but once it is there it is possible).

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:27:09 pm

[Peter Blumenstock] "I do have Prores installed. So, one should think that I could create a Prores capture setting the same way I can when opening the Aja supplied capture application (which, as you know, can also capture Prores if it is on the machine)"

ProRes is not native to premier, and the cards are designed to work within application as it is designed, there is no guarantee that ProRes would be available to every Abobe users.

now you can use the VTRx application to ingest as ProRes on a system that has ProRes installed and then move the files into PPro.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Peter Blumenstock
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:42:57 pm

Capturing via the Aja app is not a problem. Also previewing prores material on an external monitor is ok (a bit shaky at time but doable). I am, in general, trying to figure out the best way to work with Prores within Premiere. I have a ton of Prores material that I need to go back to quite often, mostly with only minor modifications (new tites, a few hard cuts). I guess I am just a bit confused by the render philosophy of Premiere in general as I can create a prores timeline but even with only hard cuts applied it looks as if I always have to render the whole lot when exporting to tape or file.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 5, 2011 at 4:01:20 pm

You don't want to capture to ProRes moving forward with Premiere because as Gary says, that codec won't be available on every Premiere system you might work with.

Did you go into the QT Setups when you selected the AJA Kona board for Capture? You would select you capture codec from there. This is one thing I'm figuring out right now myself, how I want to capture footage moving forward with Premiere. I'm just testing multiple capture formats to see how it all works.

FYI, ProRes should play back smoothly if you start it in a brand new timeline. Just drag any ProRes Clip down to the "New Item" icon at the bottom of the Project Window and that will create a new Sequence based on the clip parameters. Your video playback should be smooth both in Premiere and to the monitor.

I'm seeing some issues when I XML a Project from FCP to Premiere and then copy / paste my sequence elements to a new AJA formatted timeline. I do get some stuttery playback and have reported that to both AJA and Adobe via their feedback pages.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Peter Blumenstock
on Jul 5, 2011 at 4:34:15 pm

Hi Walter,

previewing prores material on an external monitor has been working reasonably ok so far. Sometimes it hangs or I have to go play/stop/play for it to work again but... it is doable. I chooe an AJA preset, then I changed the sequence codec to prores rather than uncompressed (although that only seems to be relevant to the preview render files as it seems I always have to do a full render when outputting a file or outputting to tape directly from within premiere).

My problem is that I have to deal with 6 - 8 hours of new 1080 footage per week that comes to me either directly as Prores Files or on HDCAM and I need to keep this stuff around for at least 6 month, often much longer,. So I need to find a workflow with a codec that has a relatively small footprint in order to keep storage requirements at a sane level. I wished there was a codec native to Adobe in the way Prores is to FCP or DNxHD to Avid.

More testing on my end, too, in the coming weeks.

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 13, 2011 at 6:50:09 am

[Peter Blumenstock] "I wished there was a codec native to Adobe in the way Prores is to FCP or DNxHD to Avid."

Exactly. I think this is something Adobe really needs to figure out. Uncompressed is impractical and usually not needed. So far I'm not seeing AVC Intra as it. Unless I'm missing something.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]