FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere & Kona

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Pugh
Premiere & Kona
on Jun 22, 2011 at 9:33:09 pm

I'm looking at the possibility of migrating from FCP to Premiere and I'm testing out my Kona LHi - but I have some problems - can someone tell me if its possible to use Kona with Premiere?

Currently I'm using Premiere 4.2.1
and so I downgraded the Kona software to 7.5.1
And installed the AJA Adobe Mac 7.5.1 software
For the test I'm using HDV media

However - as soon as I access the Kona through Premiere I loose real time playback, it seems to run at about 5 frames a second, and the monitor output flashes and eventually gives up and freezes. The media plays fine at full 25fps without the Kona output selected.

Also I notice compared to FCP, Premiere auto clips the video luminance, and increases saturation slightly. In so doing it appears to loose some resolution compared to the FCP output through Kona. Altogether the FCP Kona output looks superior.

I'd like to think Premiere could be a migration path for me down the road (I use AE a lot) - but does it work with Kona as well as it does with FCP?

Cheers,

Ken.

3.2 GHz 8 core Intel Xeon
8TB SATA array
Kona LHi

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Premiere & Kona
on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:48:19 pm

[Ken Pugh] "
I'd like to think Premiere could be a migration path for me down the road (I use AE a lot) - but does it work with Kona as well as it does with FCP?"

The answer appears to be "NO". AJA seems to be a bit tight-lipped on the subject, but I wish we could get a straight answer. I left a message for AJA tech support a few months ago regarding similar issues with Premiere... and for the first time ever they did not respond. Maybe AJA doesn't know what the problem is... ??

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 26, 2011 at 5:07:14 pm

I'm testing CS 5.5 right now with the AJA Kona 9.0.1 drivers on our Kona 3G. Getting a little strobiness to the video output here.

Not sure if it's something to do with the Kona or me having to learn a different workflow in Premiere. I'm talking to AJA about this as well and will be reporting back here and also in my blog series about transitioning away from FCP.

If history is our guide, AJA will resolve this in short order if it is actually a problem or just a lot of us FCP editors adjusting to Premiere.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 26, 2011 at 6:09:07 pm

The Monitor and Source Windows have independent controls. Right click in them and ensure both are set to Full Resolution.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]