FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3G causing MacPro to freeze after sleep?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amir Qureshi
Kona 3G causing MacPro to freeze after sleep?
on Jun 19, 2011 at 4:59:06 pm

Anybody else having this issue?

After installing Kona 3G card, if i put my mac pro to sleep using apple drop down menu and then after a few mins or seconds try to wake it up (by pressing a key on the keyboard, etc.) the computer display comes up with the desktop but completely frozen (with a frozen clock on the finder menu bar) with no input responses from the mouse, wacom, or the keyboard. And the only option i have is to press and hold the power button down for a few seconds on my mac pro to do a force shut down.

Called Aja and their tech support acknowledges that this is a known issue due to the way OSX manages power to PCIe buses once its put to sleep.

Kona driver installed in my system is 8.1.2

Would love to be able to sleep the machine every now and then when not in use. Its a 12 core mid 2010 MacPro.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Kona 3G causing MacPro to freeze after sleep?
on Jun 19, 2011 at 5:25:28 pm

[Amir Qureshi] "Kona driver installed in my system is 8.1.2"

Are you sure the firmware on the card is up to date- it must be updated manually on this card.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Amir Qureshi
on Jun 19, 2011 at 6:49:53 pm

i am not sure of that. How do i find out whats the current firmware on my card and how do i update it?

thanks.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 19, 2011 at 9:30:11 pm

[Amir Qureshi] "ow do i find out whats the current firmware on my card and how do i update it?"

open the Kona Updater found in Applications > AJA utilties Folder, running it will tell you whether you have the current version or not.

After you have finished you have to completely power your machine down after a firmware update, give it a minute then re-boot.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Amir Qureshi
on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:39:47 am

checked it, i do have the current version (dates of firmware under both current version and version on device labels are the same). But i clicked the update button anyways just in case and it updated it, i power cycled the machine, and will try to sleep it again as soon as i am done working on it.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Jun 20, 2011 at 6:15:37 am

AJA Technical Support provided you with accurate information when you contacted them; sleep is not recommended when using PCIe video i/o cards.

If you have further questions about this, don't hesitate to contact AJA Technical Support again.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Amir Qureshi
on Jun 20, 2011 at 6:19:07 am

sorry missed your post. I guess it is what it is, but i am just curious if anyone else with Kona 3G has experienced the same behavior.

Return to posts index

Amir Qureshi
on Jun 20, 2011 at 6:16:11 am

Ok, so i tried waking the machine up from sleep again but with same results (frozen desktop with the finder bar clock frozen at the time machine was put to sleep.

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:31:33 pm

I would never sleep a machine with PCIe cards installed. Not a recommended practice

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Amir Qureshi
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:31:24 am

Thanks all for your help. No sleep it is then.

Return to posts index

Danny Nieder
on Sep 3, 2011 at 4:05:49 am

I had this exact problem too - and fixed it. I downloaded the "NDD" (without the Macintosh Desktop) version of the driver, and it fixed it for me. (I am using the LHi, but I am thinking it should be the same.)
AJA tech support seems to think that this shouldn't technically work, but it did for me.

I'm on a MacPro 4,1. Hope it works for you, too.

Return to posts index

Brian Holmedal
on Mar 23, 2012 at 8:07:19 am

Im also having this problem with my LHi card. The odd thing, if the problem is related to OSX bus power management, is why did I not have any problems when using Blackmagic card or the older Kona card i had for testing in this machine?

Ive upgaded firmware, drivers and os without any change.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]